Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: travel forum

I'd like to see it.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:09 AM

Question - if we start a travel forum, what types of trip reports should move there? I categorize trip reports as

1) Mostly poker trip reports. Sometimes these are kinda BBV in nature, but often its just a listing of hands and room experiences.

2) Lifestyle trip reports. Visited Vegas, Visited AC, had diner here, saw xyz show, etc.

3) Lifestyle/Poker combined trip reports

4) Balla reports - To date I usually move these to BBV because they are really brags, but I let them stay in B&M if they are more about the passion for gambling.

5) Catch-all trip reports. Travel to exotic lands, other states, weekend getaways, diner with poker friends, etc. I assume this is exactly what travel is for, but some of the categories above would fit as well.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 AM

Yes it's worth a try.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2007, 06:15 AM

Mat, I don't think it makes much sense.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it's worth a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I feel.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I have is that I'm not sure how many people will regularly read the forum enough for there to be good advice.

Since I am from Oregon and am homesick all the [censored] time due to living in Pittsburgh, I love participating in threads about traveling through Oregon, doing stuff in Portland, etc. My favorite thread of all time is probably Clarkmeister's trip report in the el diablo forum. Apologies for the redundancy.

Similarly, I am quite fond of Spain having studied in Sevilla for a semester. I have participated in a number of threads giving advice on where to go and what to do on a trip there.

However, even with all that I don't think I will very often read the forum to scan for such threads. Most threads are going to be "What to do in X?" where X is not Oregon, Spain, or even Western Pennsylvania so I'll nearly always have no reason to go there. On occasion I'll probably go there to make a "What to do in Toronto?" or whatever post and will skim the other posts then but other than that I don't think I'll ever read it.

Again, I really like reading and posting in threads about travel to places I know a lot about. Most people are probably far less eager to post in threads about their hometowns and even less likely to seek out the travel forum in order to find such threads.

Cliff's Notes: I think the forum will feature a lot of people looking for advice but few people there to give it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would certainly refer to a Travel Forum every now and then, as would others as the wanderlust bit them. With as many people involved in the forums as a whole, it would seem likely that there would always be people looking for information. Whether the ones that could give the information would happen to be reading the forum at the same time is a matter for the statisticians.

Perhaps it would be better to join travel with another one or two topics? Maybe leisure and/or entertainment? Golf, health, fitness, leisure and travel or somesuch amalgamation, spinning off full forums later if necessary?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 AM

For those saying it wasn't given a chance, Travel was a playground for a good month and the traffic was even worse than the dedicated forum.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would certainly refer to a Travel Forum every now and then, as would others as the wanderlust bit them. With as many people involved in the forums as a whole, it would seem likely that there would always be people looking for information. Whether the ones that could give the information would happen to be reading the forum at the same time is a matter for the statisticians.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way I see it being successful is if so many people that are looking for info happen to also have info about other places. It might be a good place for trip reports, but most people would probably prefer to leave their trip reports in their "home" forum.