Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Re: 400lbs -- Want to be much less than that... a few questions.

Say goodbye to mcdonalds. You have to be 100% about this and getting healthy.

You sound like a candidate for Lean Cuisines. Some people on here talk bad about them, but they are far healthier than what you are eating. They have pizza and it is actually good. I was skeptical of all diet foods b/c they usually taste like ass, but these are genuinely tasty.

It sounds like you eat until you are stuffed. Just eat a small amount and stop. After a while you will adjust and you won't WANT to stuff yourself anymore.

Fruits and vegetables are a good idea. You don't have to cook those and they can make you full.

Another thing that really has been working for me is make a bet with your wife that you will giver her $ (something significant) if you don't lose X amount of weight in 2 months. Make it something that will actually be hard to achieve and an amount that you don't want to give up. You will think twice about stopping at mcdonalds or eating that midnight snack or downing that pizza or whatever else it does. You HAVE to stay motivated if you want results.

Lastly, remember it can be done. If you stick to whatever you choose to do and really man up and show dedication you will see astounding results. Don't be afraid to push yourself.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 AM

As for weight training, your best bet is probably a kettle bell, resistance bands or bodyweight exercises.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at all those resources.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the commonalities of your diet with the diet of your children should raise concerns?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought someone might mention this. I do make sure the kids eat much better than I do. And they do listen, but you're right, I'm not setting the best example.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:21 PM

Hi there,

To be honest I don't think your focus should be weights, you should be doing something that burns more calories.

If you want to get something to do in the house, get a cheapy excersise bike, or a rowing machine or something. Something low impact.

I'm 266 pounds and 6'3" and I try and avoid anything with any impact liek jogging, just because it plays havoc with my knees and back, so I'm guessing you are in a similar position.

I'd really go with something that involves your kids, set up some kind of regular weekly session where youa re doing something with them. Go to the pool, or a beach, or the park or the zoo or an amusement park, or something, and just be generally active. I've got nephews and I know running around trying to keep up with them is hard work.

the other thing I suggest would be keeping a food diary, and be honest with yourself, include all drinks as well. If you have to keep track of it, and will have to face it later, its help me avoid really pigging out on something.

Also, how much milk are you drinking? Its 50 calories per 100ml, and if youa re drinking half a litre or so a day, this could be a big chunk of your calory intake.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest I don't think your focus should be weights, you should be doing something that burns more calories.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weight lifting has been shown to be highly beneficial to weight-loss.

Read the faq, there's a lot of stuff with regards to weight lifting vs. cardio for reducing weight.

Basically, you eat less calories per day than you burn = weightloss. Bigger muscles need more calories.

Cardio exercise only increase calorie burn while you're doing it. It's very good for your health though.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at all those resources.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the commonalities of your diet with the diet of your children should raise concerns?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought someone might mention this. I do make sure the kids eat much better than I do. And they do listen, but you're right, I'm not setting the best example.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you take the trouble to get them eating correctly, how hard could it be for you to eat along with them?

I think you said they eat cereal daily, and you do along with them, usually. Maybe you all need to go the extra mile and have a full and better breakfast daily? (I'm making suggestions and genuinely asking questions, not trying to be a horse's ass).
Old 11-15-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weight lifting is better for weight loss than just about any exercise you can do (diet is #1). The only reason I didn't push it for OP is that he first needs to just get going with eating better and doing some basic physical activity. Once he loses 10 pounds or so and gets a bit healthier he should definitely move into weight lifting. OP, if you enjoy weight lifting and want to do that, then by all means go for it, but bodyweight squats and pushups are probably plenty difficult at the moment.

OP should definitely *not* start jogging. Aside from not doing much for calorie burn, jogging when you're severely overweight and out of shape is very very bad for the joints and could prevent you from doing actually beneficial exercises.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM

OP, if it helps to motivate you any, you are at serious risk for all kinds of horrible stuff, even at 25. My very overweight uncle just found out he has diabetes, and we're not sure if his kidneys are going to last. He's 52, hasn't exercised for 20 years or seen a Dr. for 10 before this. I know that seems like a long way off, but all his bad habits started in his 20s.

I get the impression you want to turn things around, which is good. But I don't get the sense you realize how at risk you are right now. I don't think it would be much a stretch to compare you to a hard core alcoholic--who is at a point where they have to turn things around if they want to have any chance at a normal, healthy life.

It's probably hard to imagine at 25, but I guarantee when you get older you're going to want to stick around for a long time to watch your children and grand children grow up. One of my uncles, an alcoholic, finally decided he wanted to live to see his gradkids grow up. But he started trying to turn it around way too late. He died at dialysis. And now possibly another may be in deep trouble before his sons have even gone to college. And we don't even know if he's going to turn things around.

Anyway, obviously this is a raw issue with me. But I guarantee at your size and height, you have got to get in shape or you are in trouble.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM

wow op see my thread about running 1 hr a day. if u run very very slow at first myabe u could try it.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't eat salad. I'm a "feel" person when it comes to food... and the act of biting into a piece of lettuce literally induces my gag reflex. I don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same way when it comes to pears, plums and especially asparagus. Ugh, it's like a slimy rotten twig. I know your tastes are supposed to change every seven years. But I think when it's the texture of something that bothers you, that never changes. I know I will never like asparagus, in any form. I do gag on a bite every 5 years or so, just to confirm.

But I would think in the pantheon of fruits and vegetables you can find some stuff that doesn't gross you out. I know other people who have the same issue with lettuce that still eat plenty of other vegetables. You may have to force yourself a bit at first as your body is so unused to them.

I've found that after a month or two on a low-carb diet, if I eat something super-carby like a giant burrito or a big bowl of pasta, I will actually feel sick. Your body gets used to whatever you're eating - good or bad.