Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Home tourny all-in decision

[ QUOTE ]
It was basically a post-flop coinflip and you got lucky. You were right to race (another important poker concept, knowing when its time to just gamble it up).

[/ QUOTE ]

With 2:1 pot odds, many would gamble here figuring their King high flush would be the nuts. But, if villain held Adxd or AdJd (which I would consider possible hands held) hero is in trouble.

Also, because opponent pushed first and had hero out-chipped, hero is putting entire tourney on line with draw that may not be the nuts. SB, who I assume folded, is now crippled (with 5k in chips) which makes another case for folding to finish in the money.

I raise these points to play Devil's Advocate rather than to simply disagree with those who make valid points for calling; in fact, I'll often be calling here. But a case can be made for folding late in a tourney when finishing in the money make take precedent over making a +EV call on a draw.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:36 AM

You should have raised right away pre-flop instead of limping.

On the flop in a cash game you would definitely call as this is definitely +chip ev. However, in the tounrament and especially on the bubble I'm sure it depends on the payout structure: how much is 1st getting and how much is second getting? The bigger the difference between the 2 and the more likely it would be you should call. But if they are similar prize amounts then a fold may be correct.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 AM

Yeah, 1st to act that is a raise. As played, your call was ok against a big stack using his muscle who would have a wide range here.

BTW the BB had not flopped the nut straight.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:46 AM

I would honestly probably fold here. This is why. Only 2 places are paying, the SB is low with an M of 6, and now has half his stack in this pot. Yes we have possibly a 12 out draw, but if villain happens to have the ace high flush draw and is shoving a semi, we're looking really bad, if he's flopped the straight, yeah we're getting 2:1 on a 43% win, but that means 57% of the time we're busting out on the bubble instead of maintaining a decent stack and assuring the money, and if it's a set, now we're a mesley 33% winner. I think we need to take the payout structure into consideration along with heads up ability. I feel very confident in my heads up play, and I wouldn't mind coming in heads up behind, knowing I'm in the money and now on a freeroll. Fwiw, if the 2nd place is the good old "2nd gets their money back" I'm shoving here, that's the dumbest payout structure ever and I hate it, lol.