Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: 200nl: set with bad turn card

60ish
Old 09-20-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When you don't hit a set you are left with an under pair out of position in a heads up pot, which is not a spot you want to be in often.

You said in OP you had no reads on the guy. Just curious about the preflop decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a full-stack game (100BB or more) I don't think I've ever folded a pair to a standard raise preflop. You have some bluff/showdown equity, it's not just sets. When the stacks get shorter, it becomes more read-dependent.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM

I usually raise a bit more on the flop. 70 and call push on turn.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 PM

I like a 60ish bet here. Looks like it might be a bluff with one diamond. If he did have a big drawing hand on the flop, and call or raises, you still have outs.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:41 PM

chitown that is strong advice re: calling from the blinds w/ the small pair. Would you also consider it a leak to reraise and lead a high card flop (representing an A or K)?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually raise a bit more on the flop. 70 and call push on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm raising more on the flop, it's with the intent of settin up a turn push.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

When you don't hit a set you are left with an under pair out of position in a heads up pot, which is not a spot you want to be in often.

You said in OP you had no reads on the guy. Just curious about the preflop decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a full-stack game (100BB or more) I don't think I've ever folded a pair to a standard raise preflop. You have some bluff/showdown equity, it's not just sets. When the stacks get shorter, it becomes more read-dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]
**standard, nothing is absolute disclaimer**

Your odds of hitting a set is ~7-1 right? (I could be wrong but at least in the ball park)

So that means that around 85% of the time you are going to be out of position here with a pair of fives. I don't see how you could win this pot by showing down the best hand or bluffing the player from out of postion a high enough percentage of the time to make this +EV.

It regards to raising and c-betting a high card flop, I would label this a play you can make against someone you feel is opening light. You would be making a play at the pot not betting for EV.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
**standard, nothing is absolute disclaimer**

Your odds of hitting a set is ~7-1 right? (I could be wrong but at least in the ball park)

So that means that around 85% of the time you are going to be out of position here with a pair of fives. I don't see how you could win this pot by showing down the best hand or bluffing the player from out of postion a high enough percentage of the time to make this +EV.

It regards to raising and c-betting a high card flop, I would label this a play you can make against someone you feel is opening light. You would be making a play at the pot not betting for EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit a set 1 out of every 8.5 times, and your implied odds are outstanding in those situations with full stacks. You don't have to stack Villain every time, you can usually get a bet or two out of him. The other ways to win w 55 are just a little added bonus.

I suppose you could identify specific players against whom this is a small leak, but against the general SSNL population I am calling every time.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM

calling oop with small pp's is a leak HU [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling oop with small pp's is a leak HU [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your analysis.