Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s fires best dealer for not working overtime

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
isn't that illegal

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in most states. An employee or employer usually has the right to terminate employment for any reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Not sex, age, race, disability, etc. etc.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Okay, let me see if I understand this correctly. Harrah's is in a bit of a crisis because they don't have enough dealers (calling in, whatever).

Sooo... Their solution is to fire dealers at the drop of a hat?

LDO!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM

this is sooooo effin ridiculous
Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure eveything that Harrah's did was completely legal,

Don't mean to play devil's advocate here...but... from what I understand of employment law and the nature of employment for dealers in the US especially for the WSOP. That most of the dealers are in fact not regular dealers for Harrahs and are contracted out for the duration of the series, however unless he actually signed something saying he was to work a certian number of hours a day/week for the duration of the series he is entitled to no compensation.

Secondly if he did sign something like this he could have been in violation of this by not performing required overtime.

Here's a question though, Why didn't he call in sick to the Wynn??? It seems there was still enough time to do this and if he actually was a full-time employee there he would have to accept it. I feel the dealer in question (who I don't doubt is extremely competent based on the responses) probably handled himself poorly in this instance.

We all do this from time to time, it just always seems to be the case when somehting like this seems so single sided.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because calling in sick to his full time employer would be unethical and wrong. The fact that you would even suggest this makes me hope that a) you play poker professionally/are not of employment age and b) that all Australians do not have your liaise faire attitude toward work commitments.

The employee in question could have called his boss at the wynn and asked if they had extra dealers scheduled and if they would not mind him showing up late but just calling in sick would be simply wrong.

Also, I am pretty sure that these dealers have "employment at will" meaning that they could be fired for anything that is not protected by statute. It is highly likely that refusal to work overtime is not protected (whereas being a pregnant woman would be protected) and I am confident (despite not being familiar with the state laws or the facts of the case) that a major organization like Harrah's is not going on the wrong side of the law in this instance.

They are however exhibiting ridiculously bad judgment. If they have a dealer shortage the last thing they want to be doing is firing their best dealers!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question though, Why didn't he call in sick to the Wynn???

[/ QUOTE ]

Strikes me as very -EV when you compare how well the Wynn guys are compensated vs. what Harrah's is probably paying.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:36 AM

I am a former manager at Caesars.

It is clearly outlined in the employee handbook that any nonunion employee who refuses to work overtime is subject to immediate separation.

The dealer DID know this. The dealer was probably warned by the D/C before giving a final answer - under the repeat a directive and make sure that they understand the consequence clause of HR policy. But I can't guarantee that the D/C warned him or asked him a second time.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 AM

Wait what, union employees and non union employees have different contracts? [censored] up contract, for this guy, whatever the case.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait what, union employees and non union employees have different contracts? [censored] up contract, for this guy, whatever the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your labor laws and the general tenor of the labor-management relationship is much more prolabor than ours. In America, if you are not part of a union, you don't have many of the protections that are standard across Europe.

I just completed a degree in labor relations and spoke to many people (in the labor movement) who were shocked the first time they witnessed the concessions that European workers union and nonunion alike take for granted.

Also, despite the fact that unions confer great benefits to their workers, our unionization rate is much lower than yours. Especially in the private sector.

[/hijack]
Old 06-26-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Union employees bargained for overtime based on a bidding structure. If you are offering limited overtime, it must go to the most senior employee who wants it. If I gave overtime without offering it to everyone on the shift, or without bidding it out, then every employee in the department would have to be paid that time. Part of their bargaining also protects them from mandatory overtime.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:02 AM

Some follow-up:

Thomas couldn't call in sick to the Wynn as the Wynn has made it very clear not to be missing as they have been slammed as well.

Lots of people have been calling in, thus the need for OT. Thomas was mourning, "If I had called in sick, I would have been fine."

I told this story to Lee Markholdt today sitting in the ten seat. The dealer overheard me and said this, word for word... "They have been looking for any excuse to fire people... I heard that a couple of floor people were walking around during break taking chips off the table simply to fire the dealer if he didn't say anything."

Obviously that's just dealer heresay, but, WOW. Plus, if they're having problems with people calling in, why are they looking for any excuse to fire people?

He's not the black guy. Early 30's white guy 5'10"ish skinny complexion EXTREMELY fast and EXTREMELY compentent at all games.

Devo