Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: 33 in the BB...

i think he's only getting 8-1 on the turn raise, correct me if I'm wrong.

fyi if I'm raising the turn i'm usually betting the river. and I know i'm in the minority here and for some reason it's come up a lot lately but I never 3bet this pf.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM

stox loves the fsdr for some reason. makes it easy to play the river I guess

villain isn't making a mistake by folding a 6 outer, he is getting around 7.5:1 if you consider the rake and has no implied odds
Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM

jba me neither. people are so aggressive in blind battles this hand usually has more value taking a passive line imo
Old 07-11-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stox loves the fsdr for some reason. makes it easy to play the river I guess

villain isn't making a mistake by folding a 6 outer, he is getting around 7.5:1 if you consider the rake and has no implied odds

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct. i miscounted by a bet (jba noticed it before). With 6 outs getting 7.5-1 he is getting the right odds to call (39 bad cards and 6 good cards left in the deck). So if I get a fold I did make him make a (albeit very marginal) mistake.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jba me neither. people are so aggressive in blind battles this hand usually has more value taking a passive line imo

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm picking your brain a lot here, but do you mind (same with you jba) giving me your line on this hand...

would you just call down the whole way, or raise the flop or turn?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 PM

oh yea, I was thinking 8:1 for some reason but thats a 5 out draw
Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just on it's face it seems absurd to bloat the pot when people are so spewy and hence so showdown bound. it's a pretty basic concept in no limit but i think it applies here -- if you showdown a pair of threes in a huge pot you're almost never winning, in a big pot you're a dog, in a small pot you have a good chance. I think at least on a basic level that applies to limit blind battles where people are showing down like everything.. why make a big pot when right now we barely have something.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Just out of curiosity, if you call here pre (I do) what is the cutoff for flops you fold right away on?

For me personally I think I would be folding the flop if it has 3 broadways with no pair or is something like a JT9 monotone. What else, if anything?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity, if you call here pre (I do) what is the cutoff for flops you fold right away on?

For me personally I think I would be folding the flop if it has 3 broadways with no pair or is something like a JT9 monotone. What else, if anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good question. Flops like AKJ and QJ9 are folds. AK5 is probably a fold too. Its the flops like A94 and KJ2 that im unsure about.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM

I'm having trouble wrapping my ahead around why calling is better than 3-betting. If this player is raising a lot of hands pf (which he is) then aren't I making this hand significantly easier to play postflop?

With his opening range if I just call pretty much any card higher than an 8 could hit his hand, and so I either have to call down the whole way not knowing if I'm ahead, or just fold every scary flop.

I feel like if I 3-bet he is just calling more often than not pf, and the hand plays pretty straight forward after that.

I guess I find myself trying to make decisions early in hands that make my play later in hands more straight forward.

care to elaborate how we play the 3s after the flop if we just call, and like secretprankster said how safe does the board have to be to call down?