Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

[ QUOTE ]
lord of war - this is basically the exact type of movie i love, except that it sucked

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone like Scorcese had done this it would have been great. I also thought it was a bit of a let down.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 AM

capote - saw in theatre. Hoffman really is pretty impressive. It's an interesting story. I liked it better than I thought I would but it didn't exactly blow me away or anything.
For as long as it was and as slow as it got in parts it still was able to hold my attention decently well.

Motorcycle Diaries - This one is a toughie for me. I liked it okay but I really thought it could have been better.
Some of the scenes just seemed kind of forced or didn't flow quite as well.
But overall I do think it's worth seeing.
And I definitely think I need to see it again.

As I've mentioned before, my GF is from Peru, so this was a more personal experience for her I guess. She absolutely loved this movie and felt pretty strongly about it.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some don't even make it this far, like Step Up and John Tucker Must Die. But plenty of crappy ones do. Here's the list. Please share your opinions on how bad they really suck, and whether some are actually good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I really liked these movies, and Hillary Snow is really hot in a kind of pre-skanky/anoxeric Olsen twins way.

You should also consider moving Ong Bak onto your "enjoy" list (or maybe just bump it up in the rotation, I can't tell you what you'll enjoy,) but it really is a good movie. Besides Tony Jaa's total ass-kicking (and they show you all the cool shots in slow motion or different angles so you can see that he's doing all the stunts without wires), it also has a decent plot for a martial arts film and some comedy as well as the most clutch side-kick ever, the Asian Bobby Hill.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:52 AM

Being completely honest here, I dont' know why you threw out John Tucker Must Die and left what you did. Yeah it's obviosuly pretty terrible, but so are some of the movies you left on your list. It's great asset is that it's one of those movies you can only half watch and still be entertained by. These movies are great when you're in the hungover/tired/lazy mood. These type of movies are important to have available when you need them. I'm being serious here, I hope someone understands what I'm getting at.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:08 AM

A few thoughts:

- Freedomland was a terrific book but the movie was a giant letdown.

- I enjoyed Broken Flowers buy I may have been in the mood. The soundtrack is very good, especially the stuff by Holly Golightly (the best being her singing on one of The Greenhornes tracks).

I get my high def TV via a $35 Terk indoor antenna so I can't help you with what not to record.

~ Rick
Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 AM

DI,

"These movies are great when you're in the hungover/tired/lazy mood. These type of movies are important to have available when you need them. I'm being serious here, I hope someone understands what I'm getting at."

I understand completely, and that's why a number of these movies are/were there (like Accepted, for example) made it on. I'll add John Tucker Must Die to the list! Sometimes I'm just too embarrassed to hit record for when people come over and see what's on my DVR, but f it, you guys have convinced me on JTMD!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 AM

All,

Added to list:

You, Me, and Dupree
John Tucker Must Die

Forgot to mention (recent watch/deletes):

Underworld: Evolution - wow, even w/ Kate Beckinsale as a hot vampire chick and pretty much everything you could want in a movie, still sucks hard

Annapolis - hahahahhahahhaah, oh lord this was just as incredibly horrible as i expected it to be, hahahhaha
Old 06-18-2007, 03:22 AM

All,

Yes, I understand that I obviously watch a lot of really horrible movies while far superior ones remain for months on the DVR. Please see the post by DrunkIrish for the explanation.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These are ones I'm not sure about:

ghosts of abu ghirab
an inconvenient truth

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen An Inconvenient Truth, but not Ghosts - are you saying you don't know whether you'll be annoyed by possible prosetylizing, or you're not sure whether you'll be entertained?

With movies like this, casual reviews usually say more about the reviewer than the movie, imo.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 AM

Four brothers isnt really that bad, its quite watchable. I watched last holiday and the break up also and I have to say they are girl moviez (I watched them when I was sick and had nothing better to do) but I finished both of them.

My friend recommented kiss kiss, bang bang to watch, I turned it off after a couple of minutes because it sucked so avoid this one.

Click was ok/good.

ong-bak the thai warrior, I have this one still on my pc but havent watched it yet, I guess ill do
Closed Thread