Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: SSHE is the nuts!

[ QUOTE ]
ps - if you cannot find the fish... often the fish is you. I'm at a stage in my play now where I don't mind playing at very tough tables with everyone who plays at a good to expert level, someday you will get there too but not until you can beat the low limit games with your eyes closed. Take my advice above and you can get there too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your tone is arrogant and condescending, frankly. This has absolutely nothing to do with tough games. The OP talked about the relevance of Ed's book to modern online play, and the OP is correct. There are rarely any games in the $2/4 limit or up that come close to the conditions specified in SSHE. (In fact as long as 2 years ago, Stars games at .50/1 were playing as tight as 18% flop.)

This has nothing to do with whether or not the games are beatable, or the skill level of the OP. If SSHE concepts are misapplied, you will suck at poker. That is exactly what adjusting to game conditions is all about. Of course he will have to adjust to tougher tables. That is not what SSHE is about.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks Jeff. Truly i believe it is better to play the advanced limit style from that of Mason and David's advance holdem strategy, when playing small stakes online.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
welcome to 3 years ago...get Ed's DVDs

[/ QUOTE ]

Got them a couple of weeks ago and I have never been so dissiapointed by anything I have bought. But then again expectations were pretty high.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM

i concur with the poster saying SSHE is not good for online games..... i think TT is out-of-line... the truth
Old 03-26-2007, 05:09 PM

SSHE starting hand charts are not appropriate for online play anymore.

The concepts and post-flop applications are still pure gold.

IMHO.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at a stage in my play now where I don't mind playing at very tough tables with everyone who plays at a good to expert level

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I can't imagine ever getting to that level. Give me a table full of chumps, anyday. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Post flop play is PERFECT for the low limit on-line games as well as games all the way up until the middle limits (adjustments need to be made for short handed play), and thats where your money is made. Pre flop play does need adjusting unless the table is passive, then follow Ed's advice perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the problem with the book though.. I've read through a couple times now. It took me a while to realize that none of the online limit games I play in are as loose as the "tight" games in this book. looking right now on full tilt, the .25/.50 and .50/1 full ring games all have 2 or 3 people per flop avg.

There's so much information in the book thats great, but until you figure out how to adjust to game conditions on your own (or from another sourse), this book can lose you a lot of money.

I really disagree with the people that say you can read this book and be a winner as a beginner. If you play in the right games, you can, but as a beginner, you might have trouble identifying the right games.

I'm still a losing player at micro-limit online limit games, but I think I'm beating B&M 3-6 and 4-8 games, probably because the game conditions match the book better. I haven't spent a lot of time lately trying to figure out how to beat the online limit games mostly because I've been learning new games (razz, O8) and playing/studying NL. I'm considering giving limit some more study when the Winning Tough Hold'em Games book comes out.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Post flop play is PERFECT for the low limit on-line games as well as games all the way up until the middle limits (adjustments need to be made for short handed play), and thats where your money is made. Pre flop play does need adjusting unless the table is passive, then follow Ed's advice perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the problem with the book though.. I've read through a couple times now. It took me a while to realize that none of the online limit games I play in are as loose as the "tight" games in this book. looking right now on full tilt, the .25/.50 and .50/1 full ring games all have 2 or 3 people per flop avg.

There's so much information in the book thats great, but until you figure out how to adjust to game conditions on your own (or from another sourse), this book can lose you a lot of money.

I really disagree with the people that say you can read this book and be a winner as a beginner. If you play in the right games, you can, but as a beginner, you might have trouble identifying the right games.

I'm still a losing player at micro-limit online limit games, but I think I'm beating B&M 3-6 and 4-8 games, probably because the game conditions match the book better. I haven't spent a lot of time lately trying to figure out how to beat the online limit games mostly because I've been learning new games (razz, O8) and playing/studying NL. I'm considering giving limit some more study when the Winning Tough Hold'em Games book comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you given the site/levels you are talking about. However there are lower limit games online like .05/.10 and these are more comparable to the live $3/$6 and $4/$8 games.

Maybe these lower limit online games were the ones he was referring to?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:17 AM

even the 0.05/0.1 games play pretty damn tight nowadays
Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
even the 0.05/0.1 games play pretty damn tight nowadays

[/ QUOTE ]
Sad isn't it?