Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Positively Fifth Street: Confessions of a fish

The book kinda sucks if you know anything about poker. The stuff on Jack Binion and his family was pretty interesting however everything else in the book is pretty worthless since it's just a glorified trip report.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM

Are people seriously basing their reviews of this book on the correctness of its strategy "advice"???

Reading this book will not make you a better poker player, at least not anyone reading this board.

But it is a very well-written book and a very enjoyable read. I think Alvarez's "Biggest Game in Town" is probably better, but also much shorter. I'm not a big fan of Holden's "Big Deal"; the author seems so pedantic, and the book chronicles a era in the poker world that was pretty depressing.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't had time to read this book, but from everything I've heard, it sounds like its probably the best non-strategy book ever written about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've got to be kidding. If you're interested in this stuff, have a look at the book "The Banker, the Professor and the Suicide King."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a lot of time for non-strategy reading, but I will check this out when I do.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:09 PM

hey bob, your PMs are full.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
liked the poker, but not the binions murder, history of poker/gambling and other or mention so much of his personal life

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Although I read this a long while ago, before I started playing tourneys. Perhaps I should read it a second time. But I've got so many other books lying around to read . . .
Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And he goes on to recite more stuff and advice from his heroos, McEvoy and Cloutier.

[/ QUOTE ]

might be sign of the times, but alot of newbies who did well in NL tourneys years ago referenced clothier/mcevoy as their key text....
Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't had time to read this book, but from everything I've heard, it sounds like its probably the best non-strategy book ever written about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've got to be kidding. If you're interested in this stuff, have a look at the book "The Banker, the Professor and the Suicide King."

[/ QUOTE ]

one of the red guys on here said positively 5th was the most realistic look at WSOP... or something along those lines. gave it a great review. that's why i bought it. i was disappointed. good2's review was nice though.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 PM

i haven't read biggest game in town, but i think it might be the gold standard...... i'm somewhat questioning how many times i need to read the same roadhouse gambler/stu unger/etc. stories. they're entertaining, but by the 5th time, i've usually had enough..... banker, professor, etc. was such an easy read. i don't think it's a classic. fun book though.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:37 PM

Read it a couple times, enjoy it. I mostly skip all the binions murder stuff, even the first time.

No doubt he got very lucky to get that far, but who doesn't. I don't think he played terrible, he just got lucky a few times like everyone who goes that far. Atleast he was pretty humble in a weird way. He was absolutely the first person to point it out when he made a donkey play. I dont' think it was false humility, I think he knew he lacked discipline at the least and was constantly getting onto himself.

His treatment of Annie Duke rubbed me the wrong way, even if there is some truth to what he had to say (and there is), still don't think it was too professional.

Overall, he probably played about the same as a lot of us and probably thought a lot of the same things we would have, he just put those ugly thoughts onto paper instead of pushing them to the side and comnig up with something more respectable to say outloud.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey bob, your PMs are full.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. I deleted a few.