Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

Woodford Reserve

Got it as a gift from a friend. Around $40 for a 750 mL bottle, I believe.

Carmel overtones, light aftertaste, smooth and easy. Nice sipping bourbon. I enjoy it.

Also, I just found about this "American Whiskey Trail". Sounds like fun!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Whiskey_Trail
Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 PM

Laphroaig 10 yr

Having some right now on the rocks, which is how I prefer it. Peaty, smoky, and dry. Strong without being overpowering, sharper than it is round. I don't know what it costs, got it as a gift.

Was given a 25 year old Bowmore this week, but I'm not a huge fan. Plan on trying to trade it for something else at the local liquor store, if they'll do it. Suggestions welcome, pls, I think I should be able to get something in the ~$150 range.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Bowmore 16 year limited edition...sherry matured and cask strength

This is one of the better scotches I have ever had. It was purchased at Park Ave Liquors in NYC. For those of you who enjoy Scotch, this is a great place. They have a serious, serious collection of single malts (400+). Check out their website which is always updated.

On to the scotch, apparently they made 39 casks of this stuff and when its gone, its gone, so try it soon. Its very strong at 107 proof, but it is still sweet when it hits the tongue. The nose is a dark chocolate/fruity taste combined with great Bowmore smokiness. There is a slight salty spicy flavor that accompanies this initial rush. It retailed for 102 dollars I believe, its worth it.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 PM

I like all these fancy whiskeys, and I cant wait to try them. Nevertheless any chance I get I drink:

Old Grandad whiskey. Mellower than Beam or Jack and twice as cheap (well, not twice, it retails for 20$ or less, shots in the bar often 1$ cheaper.)

Doesnt have the headache aftertaste of other cheap-o burbons and can be sipped carefully backed by an amber ale. Red like Bulliet but not as oaky. I started drinking it because the hero in George Pelecanos' Nick Stefanos mystery novels drank it all the time. Goes well with spicy food, like fried chicken or a po-boy. Drink it warm and neat, good for the soul.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:27 PM

IronFly,

I like the Woodford quite a bit. I definitely agree on the clear caramel character, but, interestingly, the flavor that dominated my palate the first time I had it was actually mint. This may have been like 50% psychosomatic (juleps on the mind) but there is a kind of refreshing aromatic character layered on the caramel that I like a lot.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:14 AM

Blanton's Bourbon. $50

You may recognize it as being the round faceted bottle with the horse stopper on top.
A traditional Kentucky Whiskey. Single barrel, non-blended. Deep amber color with a caramel/toffee nose upon opening. I prefer a small ice cube or splash of cool water while drinking it. There's a hint of vanilla in addition to the caramel/toffee flavors upon drinking. A classic "warm", maybe even peppery type finish. I'm also a big fan of Booker's but find the 120 proof too be a bit much after awhile. I view Blanton's almost as a Booker's lite. Well worth the $50 investment.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Talisker 10 (52$ at bevmo, about the same locally here)

After drinking Balvenie Doublewood 12 and Macallen 10, I wanted to try something a little different that was not a Highland scotch. I am very much a novice scotch drinker, so I do not have the command of the flavors that others do, but you can instantly tell that this scotch is not like the ones i have drank before. It has a much stronger bite to it. I would assume that is because of the peatyness of this scotch over the others I have drank. I still found this very drinkable and enjoyable. It might not be as smooth as some, but I think it has some distinct characteristics that make it stand out from the crowd. I would recommend trying it as a third or fourth bottle of scotch a novice would buy.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Talisker 10 (52$ at bevmo, about the same locally here)

After drinking Balvenie Doublewood 12 and Macallen 10, I wanted to try something a little different that was not a Highland scotch. I am very much a novice scotch drinker, so I do not have the command of the flavors that others do, but you can instantly tell that this scotch is not like the ones i have drank before. It has a much stronger bite to it. I would assume that is because of the peatyness of this scotch over the others I have drank. I still found this very drinkable and enjoyable. It might not be as smooth as some, but I think it has some distinct characteristics that make it stand out from the crowd. I would recommend trying it as a third or fourth bottle of scotch a novice would buy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Enjoying my first taste of this right now, but coming from a different perspective.
Having entered the scotch world throu Oban, Laphroaig and Lagavulin, this Talisker seems milder to me.
Seems to be relatively dry (if that's a scotch description), and the flavor doesn't linger as long as the others I've reviewed.. Still a good peat-smoke flavor, which I like.
$44 in CT

I had no clue I'd like scotch so much.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 PM

As a complete whiskey noob, but determined to see the light, I found myself at an upscale restaurant this past Sunday for a nice little reception.

With an open bar that had close to 30 different whiskeys!!!

My bro-in-law is a whiskey drinker, and with his support (if I didn't like it, he'd drink it) we ordered a snifter of Laphroaig 15 yo (him) and Oban 14yr (me).
I must say that I thouroughly enjoyed both of these drinks.

The Oban was the lighter of the two, with a nice golden appearance. I noticed a pleasant malty/smoky aroma, which carried through to the taste (along with a spicy hint). Rather warming experience in the back of my mouth.
The finish was smooth and malty. I was generally pleased with this choice.

Darker in color compared to the Oban, and a heavier smoke scent (which I really liked). I don't know how to really describe it, but it was like drinking liquid smoke, and I loved it! The flavor lingered with me for longer than the Oban, and if I didn't have a long ride home, I would have needed more!

I need to find more open bar events!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Edit: total price for these 2 drinks at bar would have been $14.
Oban ~ $40
Laphroaig ~ $35
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey *DELETED*

Post deleted by El Diablo