Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Pakistan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Back in my NYC days I knew a fair number of Pakistanis who had small construction companies that did repair work for mine. To a person they were polite, hard-working types and didn't display any kind of weirdness. It was a big surprise to me that their country turned out to be chock-full of nut-cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their country is no more full of nut-cases than ours. Ours just seem normal to those who are around them all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, our nutcases don't think it's perfectly OK to blow people up, cut off their hands, or honor kill their women in their own country. Or if they do think it's OK, they're not doing it.

Man I'd love to ship some relativist pansies off to Pakistan for a couple of months.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To the poster who mentioned that India may have more to worry about than the West does: This feeds a fantasy of mine: A billion screaming Hindus sweeping in from the East meets up with our army coming in from the West right in the middle of Iran. Take care of the problem once and for all.

There's also something I find strange. Back in my NYC days I knew a fair number of Pakistanis who had small construction companies that did repair work for mine. To a person they were polite, hard-working types and didn't display any kind of weirdness. It was a big surprise to me that their country turned out to be chock-full of nut-cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Why are all those Muslims so crazy and bloodthirsty?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Back in my NYC days I knew a fair number of Pakistanis who had small construction companies that did repair work for mine. To a person they were polite, hard-working types and didn't display any kind of weirdness. It was a big surprise to me that their country turned out to be chock-full of nut-cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their country is no more full of nut-cases than ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are basing this statement on what?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Logic. Taking a bird's perspective over a situation usually helps.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it's related to logic; it strikes me more as being based on assumption. And that's why I asked.

edit: Pakistan's Northern provinces contain a high percentage of bin-Laden and al-Qaeda supporters. Is the percentage of nuts higher in such groups? Pakistan contains tens of thousands of (madrassas) Islamic schools; maybe a fourth of those are radical. Might there be a higher percentage of nuts involved in those radical schools? Is it unreasonable to ask such questions?

edit 2: are the only reasonable assumptions the following: 1) groups everywhere contain equal percentages of lunatics, and 2) groups of people everywhere are equally rational? Are those assumptions or are they facts? And if they are facts, based on what are they evidenced?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=55824 ... Bush signed a similar bill in May giving him dictorial powers in case of such an emergency like is happening in Pakistan. What's the difference ? In the constitution doesn't it say the people have a right to uprise and overthrow a gov't that isn't treating them fairly ? Another law simply ignored ...
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=55824 ... Bush signed a similar bill in May giving him dictorial powers in case of such an emergency like is happening in Pakistan. What's the difference ? In the constitution doesn't it say the people have a right to uprise and overthrow a gov't that isn't treating them fairly ? Another law simply ignored ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the details to compare them.

I do think America ought to return to governance that is congruent with the Constitution.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush's approval rating?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bush's approval rating?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, good point.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it's related to logic; it strikes me more as being based on assumption. And that's why I asked.

edit: Pakistan's Northern provinces contain a high percentage of bin-Laden and al-Qaeda supporters. Is the percentage of nuts higher in such groups? Pakistan contains tens of thousands of (madrassas) Islamic schools; maybe a fourth of those are radical. Might there be a higher percentage of nuts involved in those radical schools? Is it unreasonable to ask such questions?

edit 2: are the only reasonable assumptions the following: 1) groups everywhere contain equal percentages of lunatics, and 2) groups of people everywhere are equally rational? Are those assumptions or are they facts? And if they are facts, based on what are they evidenced?

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens often that people just ignore their own steps and heavily condemn the same steps of the others. Either because of simple ignorance (or lack of information as an excuse) or a belief of their superiority over the others. I believe any thinkable man should be able to find some reasons for consequences unless he thinks as above of course.