Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Re: My river play still sucks

[ QUOTE ]
turn raise + river bet

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting, so assuming villain is aggressive enough to fire again here we wait till the turn to raise because:

1) there is no obvious draw out there;
2) if our hand is ahead it will stay ahead;
3) we extract more when we are ahead (which we probably are);
4) it adds an element of disguise for those times that we decide to raise the turn with o/c (I can't even begin to think when I would be doing this);
Old 12-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: My river play still sucks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
turn raise + river bet

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting, so assuming villain is aggressive enough to fire again here we wait till the turn to raise because:

1) there is no obvious draw out there;
2) if our hand is ahead it will stay ahead;
3) we extract more when we are ahead (which we probably are);
4) it adds an element of disguise for those times that we decide to raise the turn with o/c (I can't even begin to think when I would be doing this);

[/ QUOTE ]

A#1: We make more money. I can tell you I learned the waiting to "raise the turn" play the hard way. Other players were doing it to me all the damn time and I was getting sick of it. Eventually I started to employ it myself and find ways to avoid it vs. those who I knew did it to me.

An important note is that you don't want to wait unless the following factors are true:

1)Your hand isn't that vulnerable to the turn card. (Very strong dual draws or a low top pair are not times to use this.)
2) You have 2 or less opponents in the hand with you. There are probably very few times I wait for the turn if there are more than one villain on the flop. I prefer to take one out there if I can. My hand would need to be crushing and I'd want great relative position on the bettor to get as many bets as possible on the turn to wait.

The opportunity to do this comes up multiple times a session, especially in aggressive games where the pot is actually SH after the flop. It all starts adding up to your roll and your results improve nicely.