FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: A solution for Iran

Propaganda is a powerful tool.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I got so engrossed in my post that I failed to make my points:

1. Given the numbers in the above posts, the economic cost of contributing 'significantly' to the defence of Iran would be absolutely enormous.
2. Allowing foreign troops on your own soil is a very drastic political measure, and can be seen as big loss both politically and culturally. Just imagine what it would take to have an operative force of some 50000 men in the US if from some other country.
3. The cultural friction that could arise from having some significant number of russo/chinese forces in Iran is probably pretty damn big...both between those 3 countries and internationally between these three and other powers

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Iran has a huge and well equipped army, but that's not enough when defending against the most powerful force with nukes and air control. Economic cost might be high, but i think it could be compensated - it might be profitable for all parties. I agree it would be drastic political measure, but it could work with proper propaganda. I wouldn't imagine those troops there for having any significant contribution in their defense rather than politically preventing a sudden attack from Israel/USA - i'd say that would never happen if Iran would really stop with their attempts of producing nukes and that could be proved by international institutions.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:29 AM

The Iranians would rightly be far more afraid of the Russians than the Americans.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Iranians would rightly be far more afraid of the Russians than the Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be true usually. But in this case Russians would be coming in peace, based on invitation and bringing stability, while Americans would be bringing death, terror and instability. An easy choice IMO.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be true usually. But in this case Russians would be coming in peace, based on invitation and bringing stability, while Americans would be bringing death, terror and instability. An easy choice IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
no

If Iran really wants nuclear materials or weapons there will be no way for anyone to prevent it.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 PM

this bodes ill for the plan.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason the US is in the Middle East is to curb the growing economic power of China. To think we are worried about a few terrorist, WMD's or genocide is crazy, it's all imperialism. No way we would give more power to Russia or China.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding
Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The main reason the US is in the Middle East is to curb the growing economic power of China. To think we are worried about a few terrorist, WMD's or genocide is crazy, it's all imperialism. No way we would give more power to Russia or China.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, and we fund most of it through oil profits and weapons sales- it doesn't hurt to make a little scratch on the side while doing it. I just hope that it is a net gain overall economically, and not just an expensive power grab.