Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: A Career in Accounting - Do I keep going?

Hello everyone,

I just logged in to read all the responses so far. I'm still amazed about the supportive community atmosphere here on 2+2. Your suggestions have provided me with insight and perspective that I didn't have access to. Like the poker tables, life can be a real grind and kick you in the ass sometimes, and you just need a little help to get on the right track.

Now I'll get to answering some of the posts that I've read, through PMs or posting on here.

Thanks alot guys, and please feel free to continue on.

-'May the flop be with you'
Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: A Career in Accounting - Do I keep going?

[ QUOTE ]

Do you mind posting your basic history? Just the jumps you've made and your thoughts on each position you've held? Might be easier than answering tons of PMs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

8 years of public accounting with PwC (was a manager for 3 years)

Great learning experience. I had the opportunity to work with a lot of smart people audited dozens of companies. The biggest drawback was the number of hours and the pressure to remain chargeable in the slow times.

2 years Director of Inventory Accounting (Large National Drug Store Chain)

Learned about a large company functions. I really enjoyed the company, but left shortly after it was acquired and the writing was on the wall. The best boss I ever worked for was here.

2 years Controller for a small NASDAQ listed company

Did all the SEC filings and dealt with the auditors from the other side. I also met frequently with the CEO and Board. I had the most 'power' in this job, but sadly the company's product fell out of favor in the marketplace.

4 years in my current position which deals with SEC Compliance and (lots of) special projects

I moved my family over 1000 miles to take this job. It is challenging and gives me a chance to use everything I have learned so far to carve out my own niche. I will not go into specifics since I work for a large company and don't want to out myself.