Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Best MP3 Player on the market right now?

I used to love the iPod, but for a few reasons I decided to branch out and look at other players. The first reason is because the sound sucks, and when you listen to the quality of a few other players, this becomes evident pretty quickly. For a while, I had an iAudio X5. The interface is sort of [censored], and the screen is a little smaller (if you're into watching TV and movies, too), but the sound is astoundingly better. You just have so much more control over the settings. It works on Macs and PCs, but in the Mac mode it functions as an external hard drive. There's no synching software of anything - you have to build your own file structure and whatnot. This is good or bad, depending on how much control you prefer. I enjoyed it. You can get two versions of the X5. One comes with an extended, 30-hour battery. That's what I had, and it was [censored] awesome. I'd have to recharge like once every two weeks. It also has an FM Tuner, line-in, built-in microphone, and a bunch of other stuff. You chould check it out. Note: This is not a "pretty" mp3 player. It's pretty lunky and heavy, especially with the extended battery.

Now I have a 30 gig Creative Zen Vision. Sound quality is probably on par with iPod, but it does have an adjustable EQ and a few more options. It also has FM radio, built-in mic, and line-in. It isn't mac-compatible at all, which is the only reason I'd prefer an iPod right now. Besides that, I enjoy it a lot. It has a touch sensitive scroll bar, many cool shortcuts and functions that the iPod hasn't picked up on or doesn't do well. I would recommend this one, if you're a PC person. You can probably find it in most stores, unlike the iAudio X5 above.

The iPod certainly isn't the best mp3 player on the market. There are a lot of players that are good for different reasons, and the iPod is not good for many reasons. What I can't stand about the iPod are its restrictions, and I hate Steve Jobs for protecting purchased music, so as a long time Mac-user, looking elsewhere is sort of my silent protest...
Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 AM

I loves my 30gb iPod. There are probably better players out there if you know where to look, but if you're not sure the iPod is a safe bet.

Playing videos on it drains the battery like a motherf*cker, though, if that's a concern.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:41 AM

i got an iaudio x5 and it crapped out on me after like a year. the sound only plays in one ear in the headphones (nothing wrong with the headphones) and the battery lasts like an hour. never dropped it or anything. so dont get that.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:56 AM

So because one person had a bad experience with a product, nobody should even consider buying it? WTF?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:09 AM

The iaudio x5 sounds pretty much what Im looking for. Otneman, if you liked it so much why did you switch to Creative?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I can't stand about the iPod are its restrictions, and I hate Steve Jobs for protecting purchased music,

[/ QUOTE ]

he is actually doing a lot to pressure the majors to go DRM free, and he's one of the few people in a great position to do that. the DRM thing is really the labels, not apple.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:17 AM

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...layer_8GB.aspx

Hi cianosheehan,

I just picked up this MP3 player last Sunday. It supports Napster and Rhapsody to go.

I never owned an MP3 player, however I did some research and found this player would give me the best bang for my buck.

You also may consider the Creative Zen Vision.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:21 AM

Hi Blarq,

Excellent choices !!!

I just picked up the Sansa Sandisk e280 on Sunday. I have downloaded close to 200 songs and it hase not even made a dent in my memory space.

I looked at the Creative Zen vision, however decided to go with the Sansa.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 AM

I have an Ipod Nano and it's hands down one of the best investments I've ever made. I use it for work, at the gym, and I can connect it to my car stereo (Pioneer) via auxillary cable.

I had the Sandisk sansa. It was a great value, but I sold it on Ebay since I couldn't use it on my stereo.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies,
I'd like a high storage player, because I'm going away soon and while I'll be bringing my laptop too, I dont really want to keep switching content around.

Durability is also important and this would be my main reason not to go for ipod - I've heard so many horror stories.

Battery life is a factor too. Blarg, after reading a Sansa e280 review I see it has just around 20 hours battery life which is fairly impressive.

I'll keep looking around. If anyone has any more suggestions fire away

[/ QUOTE ]

Also it has a battery easily changeable by the consumer, unlike ipods. And I really like the ability to add microSD cards. You can keep dozens of them in something the size of a matchbox. Also has an FM radio tuner and recording ability. You can record radio on it too.