Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: (PS $5/$10): Shoo Fly

[ QUOTE ]
Against tricky players and in situations where I don't have complete trust in my A-pair, I check behind in this spot to avoid the c/r cause I don't think the hand can sustain being c/r. I also call the inevitable river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are spots to check behind with your top pair, but when it results in giving free cards in decent pots on somewhat drawy boards it just doesn't seem like one to me.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM

wasn't sure if my advice was right in this situation...but yeah I guess it doesn't qualify as a grunch then.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against tricky players and in situations where I don't have complete trust in my A-pair, I check behind in this spot to avoid the c/r cause I don't think the hand can sustain being c/r. I also call the inevitable river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there are spots to check behind with your top pair, but when it results in giving free cards in decent pots on somewhat drawy boards it just doesn't seem like one to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is still small by most standards I think. I agree that in an 8BB pot you'd bet. But 4BB?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If BB has the same reads as you regarding UTG, his BB defense range opens widely against your apperent blind steal. What hand range can you put him on? How often is he holding an ace here and decides to wait till the turn? What hands are he just calling with to give UTG better odds to stick around? What hands will he be 3betting w/ PF (A9+?)?

I think we need to bet this turn for value as there are many holdings IMO which he will call down with HU.
The only reason I can see checking here is to induce a bluff on the river. Obviously the biggest question here is what to do if we get c/r'd. I'm not sure b/f is the best as c/c, c/r is a pretty common line with any piece in a blind defense situation which he is in. I understand why you like a check here since getting c/r sucks in this spot, but the cases where he will c/c both streets w/ an underpair here will outweigh the times he c/r with a bigger hand.

The turn brings 3 to a straight and I would also like to not give a free card here. If I were to pick a street to check on, I think the river would be better especially if he is indeed on a draw.

Now if this guy is continuously taking pot shots at you on the turn, then checking here to induce a river bet from him is fine. Without that type of read though, I'm just v-betting the turn.

edit Thought this was 7 haded when I first read it for some reason... What I wrote still applies, but not so much as a steal.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 PM

If he's c/r'ing any worse hand once you bet the turn, he's a moron or has a really good read on you.