Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: No 3rd party registration for the WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if it's "good for nothing but Rio Tournaments" couldn't you use it to buy-in to, say, 5 of the $2k events, or any combination of $10k?

I think this would thin the ME field kind of dramatically, as anyone that Qs could get 5x (or possibly more) play if they enterred multiple events.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

90% of the people that show up for the ME come the week of. There aren't nearly enough tournaments that week to easily spend your 10K.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It really isn't going to effect much. Stars is going to give you a 10K chip good for nothing but Rio Tournaments. So, your either going to play the ME...or have one expensive souvenir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until hearing about the 10k chip I had no idea what the plan was, now it seems obvious but just to make sure - ZBT you are basing this statement on knowledge from Stars contacts, not speculation?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there have been a bunch of articles written on it. I personally think this makes sense. If Harrah's won't let PS register you in bulk, a la previous years...this is by far the best solution for everyone.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody know if it's possible to sell this "Main Event 10k Token", therefore making entries transferable?

ie: Sell the chip to some guy in line who's buying in anyways for 95% or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume so.

That seems a lot more difficult than selling your 500$ worth of chips like we did last year though. But you could try.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if it's "good for nothing but Rio Tournaments" couldn't you use it to buy-in to, say, 5 of the $2k events, or any combination of $10k?

I think this would thin the ME field kind of dramatically, as anyone that Qs could get 5x (or possibly more) play if they enterred multiple events.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

90% of the people that show up for the ME come the week of. There aren't nearly enough tournaments that week to easily spend your 10K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I know that's what I'd want to do given the choice? I suppose most people don't have the ability to just go to Vegas for a week or two to play in 5 events, but you're going to be taking off just as much time to try and play in the ME so why not?

Stars only gives the room for the duration of the ME I guess, but is a hotel in Vegas really that expensive?

If you had a $10k budget for all-things WSOP, wouldn't you enter multiple events instead of just the ME?

Clearly I am giving the average qualifier way too much credit for being a thinking person here, but still I think it has to have an effect.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 PM

one thing that occurs at some tourneys is at a single table satellite they might accept satellite chips. so you just go to a table take the cash and leave a satellite chip. if they just declare you cant use the 10K chip at a single satellite table problem solved.
Incidentally i would not know how easy it would be to get a whole table to do this. Usually you just ask one person if you have a satellite chip or two.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 PM

This solution seems like it will work, as for reselling I doubt you'd be able to get 95% for these, the market will be flooded.
I imagine the line up to register the day before the ME will be pretty sick.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I know that's what I'd want to do given the choice? I suppose most people don't have the ability to just go to Vegas for a week or two to play in 5 events, but you're going to be taking off just as much time to try and play in the ME so why not?

Stars only gives the room for the duration of the ME I guess, but is a hotel in Vegas really that expensive?

If you had a $10k budget for all-things WSOP, wouldn't you enter multiple events instead of just the ME?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you'd have to have been there before. Sure, if you took off a month to go to Vegas, and could get your 10K chip early enough...I'm sure I'd play a bunch of events.

But the VAST majority of people don't do that. Most people show up the day before their start date, and plan on going home. Even 2p2'ers who love Vegas and have basically no jobs most of the time don't even plan to stay out their free hotel rooms.

FWIW. If you had to get a decent vegas hotel room on no notice, I bet you'd pay in the 200-250$/night range..
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM

on the other hand it wont take much effort to find a 10K chip. seeems like an easy way to save 5 percent. so there should be a decent market for them. no one will get less than 9000 for one.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you'd have to have been there before. Sure, if you took off a month to go to Vegas, and could get your 10K chip early enough...I'm sure I'd play a bunch of events.

But the VAST majority of people don't do that. Most people show up the day before their start date, and plan on going home. Even 2p2'ers who love Vegas and have basically no jobs most of the time don't even plan to stay out their free hotel rooms.

FWIW. If you had to get a decent vegas hotel room on no notice, I bet you'd pay in the 200-250$/night range..

[/ QUOTE ]

Most events are only 2 or 3 days long. You can easily play 10k in events in a week or 10 days at most as you aren't going to be making Day 2 very often. I just don't see the allure of the ME that most people do I guess, it just doesn't seem like nearly as good of a value particularly if 10k is a significant portion of your BR.

You can stay at someplace for $100 (or even less) if all you really care about is a decent bed. And that's for one person.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Does this mean the under 21 crowd can play the sats and just sell our chips to old people?