Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Re: A3s, okay play?

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I usually muck these hands, but my VPIP of 15.5 is too low IMO, and I'm trying to open up my game. Is this simply too marginal?

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding is certainly better than just calling here, that is for sure. But seriously dude, this is a standard raise here preflop.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:57 PM

I was thinking the ace at best is 1 out, with the flush and straight at 13, that's 14 outs or 1:3.3 or so to improve. I don't see the turn bet as being for value in this case, and I don't think CO is going to fold (CC 2 bets on the flop) so I was just curious as to what is the reasoning to bet in this spot? (not saying it's wrong...I'm new at this, just didn't understand)
Old 01-22-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Greg. Should I be making this same raise with unsuited higher aces, like A6/A9?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably. It depends on the situation.

[shamless self promotion]I would check out this post. This might help you to understand this concept better.
[/shamless self promotion]
Old 01-22-2006, 02:12 PM

Very helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think A3s is that good of a hand. I usually just limp in with them (their main strength is flopping a flush draw, with limited strength pairing the aces due to the bad kicker).

[/ QUOTE ]
No. This is a standard open raise from the hijack. You should NEVER open limp this from the hijack! A3 is a pretty good shorthanded hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, playing 6 max, I actually don't open raise this hand from the hijack. I toss it. Too often you end up playing two or three opponents holding just one card. It's s00ted, but that doesn't matter as much with few opponents. CO I'll even consider tossing this if the blinds are really loose. By default, I tend to go down to A6 or A7 in the hijack, and A5 in the CO. Any A from the button is a no brainer, naturally. I agree that raising it up is much better than limping, however.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:41 PM

Chase out a Ax to improve you chances of winning if you hit an A, and it gets money from the other 2 players on the turn since they would likely fold to a bet on the river if you hit your flush.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop raise is good. Standard actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg,

You have me confused. If i'm understanding Miller's book SSHE, and I am probably wrong, A3s is a call or fold from middle position , with no limpers I'm folding. With A3s I want to see a multi-way pot and a cheap flop.

Also in your "post about the first two cards" you say to almost never call from a late position, but Miller in SSHE says to call an unraised pot from late position with a number of hands such as K8s-K2s,KJ,KT,QJ,QT, etc.

If you cold help me understand this better I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Bill
Old 01-22-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The preflop raise is good. Standard actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg,

You have me confused. If i'm understanding Miller's book SSHE, and I am probably wrong, A3s is a call or fold from middle position , with no limpers I'm folding. With A3s I want to see a multi-way pot and a cheap flop.

Also in your "post about the first two cards" you say to almost never call from a late position, but Miller in SSHE says to call an unraised pot from late position with a number of hands such as K8s-K2s,KJ,KT,QJ,QT, etc.

If you cold help me understand this better I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

First: You seem to be mixed up on an important semantic point. I never say it's not correct to limp in from late position. I say that OPEN limping (ie when everyone has folding to you) in LP is rarely correct (if ever). I doubt NPA disagrees.

Second: [blasphemy] I don't like SSHE's preflop charts. [/blasphemy]

Ideally, A3s is good for lots of opponents in LP. It's also a nice hand to play heads up. Folding A3s here is not a huge mistake IMO, and at the right table is probably the correct thing to do. As Wook noted in this thread, he often folds it at a 6 max table (as will I, depending on the table).
Old 01-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Greg,
I'm going to try your advice. I have been following your post "Building a bankroll in the micros" and have hit a plateau at $150 playing .25/.50 at pokerstars. Maybe this will help get me to the next level.

Thanks Again
Bill
Old 01-22-2006, 04:31 PM

Follow Wookie's more updated guide to BR building. There is a link in the FAQ.

EDIT for grammer and spelling.