Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: ***3000th Post: Tilt and R.A.A.***

[ QUOTE ]
Good effort, tho I don't agree on all of it. Emotion is not something that sould be surpressed imo (whatever ama claims)

Tilt is like variance something to make friends with and embrace, tho it is hard to explain and get into

This subject is the pooh-bah post that I never wrote I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am in disagreement with this. Putting emotional state into the game is going to effect your overall emotional state. I had a friend who i discussed emotions with about poker. He said when he got emotional about the game in any way, he tended to carry that emotion into his social life and other areas, whether good or bad. As i said we should all have a life outside of poker, and tho its hard, if not impossible, to accomplish, emotion should be checked at the door and picked back up separately as u leave the table
Old 10-16-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how it works at PSTARS, but my best friend on FTP is the self-exclusion button. After blowing large portions of my Bankroll several times due to tilt, I have no problem at all hitting that button and forcing me not to play.

I realized that I don't have enough self control to force myself to sit out after tilting heavily....even after a couple of hours I find myself playing really badly after tilting.

But then the reason tilt and bad play go hand and hand with me, is the fact that I generally only tilt after I make a stupid play. You know what I'm talking about, that moment when you know Raising/Calling in a situation is absolutely the wrong decision....and you do it anyways, because one time it will work!!

Bad beats don't tilt me at all, after enough hands you realize it's a part of poker that is going to happen to everyone and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually just took sort of a break from poker over the past month, and I used that self exclusion thing on FTP just to take away the temptation, but I'm actually sort of proud of myself because I really haven't tried to do anything crazy like making a new account, which I have done in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the self exclusion thing sites have started doing is fantasic. In reality, a break will cure pretty much anything, but some arent disciplined enuff to take it
Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM

very good post and I think this is best advice you can give someone about tilt.

However, Tilt is going to be different for everyone. My version of tilt is slowly drooling away my stack by cold calling preflop when i shouldn't and so on. I never just start open shoving like others I see.

I guess my point is that if/when/how you tilt is based on your personality and it may or may not be preventable. Dont forget that some people subconciously prefer losing when they gamble...this person will probably be completely unable to avoid the tilt monster.

Tilt isn't something everyone can fix, and in some cases, avoiding it for too long may result in ultimate busto...instead of just a swing. If you are one of these people you probably shouldn't ever gamble.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:50 PM

tldr (till later) cant wait tho
Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Very good post. I'm hoping to use this to help my game and help me to play through some runs of bad cards.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 PM

[ ] tl;dr
[x] surprisingly good
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM

Great read and one I really needed to hear. I've been playing 10nl for a little while and was doing quite well over 20k hands and then I hit a bad run and all hell broke loose. I went from almost being able to play 25nl to losing a ton of buyins in less then a week. I still have a healthy role but I've done the self exclusion on FTP just to take a break and reevaluate my overall play. Your advice imo is just spot on and couldn't be better, esp for someone who has serious problems with tilt. (aka me)
Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM

nice post. really agreeded wit it all
Old 10-16-2007, 08:48 PM

I agree with Gelford this time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Emotion is an integral part of poker and if you think you are better off without it - you are kidding your self. This is what "burnout" is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nice post, although I was hoping you'd explain what PJO stands for not some strange RMA annogramm.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
although I was hoping you'd explain what PJO stands for

[/ QUOTE ]

just a nickname cor, dont get too excited [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]