Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Commerce $1500NL vs Cunningham

[ QUOTE ]
Its funny, im taking my usual AK action too, only its betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about my usual AK action, I'm talking about my usual AK "acting" (like in performing, looking insecure about what to do), so the pros with their usual "I can read your soul" powers get the message.

The problem here Mike is that Allen has not played enough with you or Carl (I may be mistaken) to know that betting here is your usual action with AK.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its funny, im taking my usual AK action too, only its betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think pattern play is very useful since Allen only has 1 orbit of reads on an unknown hero. I would think a pro would get away from almost all of his possible holdings against an unknown aggressive player with a big stack in a way ahead/way behind situation.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:35 PM

The problem with pretending you have ace king here, is that it's completely transparent.

Once you put in any money after checking, your hand will look like a total trap. If you check after reraising preflop, and then raise him on this board, or just call, I think it wouldn't be all that hard for him to fold an AA KK type hand, and its disastrous to let him fold that at any point in the hand. If he has JJ the only way you get more money from him is if a jack turns, and well, thats not something to hope for. I think we have to address getting money from the only hands that you CAN get money from, and that's KK/AA. I would lead out here for about 2500. This way we are coming close to comitting him in the hand. As for utg, I think he has AK or TT or something so I don't see much of a way to get him to commit a lot of chips. Our target is cunningham. On the turn if a blank falls I think we need to check, and make it look like a whiffed AK which has just gotten scared. If he checks, bet big on the river, or possibly go for a super risky check raise if you think he is a thin value bettor.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think pattern play is very useful since Allen only has 1 orbit of reads on an unknown hero

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt colson is an unknown here.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:40 PM

i understand all that David. Here's the thing though. If Alan has AA/KK on this flop he is going to try and get to showdown, not play a really big pot. So he is likely to check behind on the flop, or if he bets and is called check the turn. Even more so with JJ/TT. The only hand here which checking allows to put more money into the pot is AK, which Alan may (but certainly not 100%) take a stab with.

Ive played with Alan, I don't think he's one of those read into your soul guys. He plays really good, solid poker. You are gonna have a hard time convincing him to play a big pot here regardless of what he has (unless he has AA and is convinced you have exactly KK, a circumstance i dont think its possible to create). So, im gonna make him put in money now and on the river with a big pair (betting the flop, checking the turn and betting the river makes it very hard for AA/KK to fold). Am I letting him off of AK, sure, but I don't particularly think he's taking a stab with a whiffed AK anyway (not when you consider that he has to worry about UTG also).
Old 02-10-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think pattern play is very useful since Allen only has 1 orbit of reads on an unknown hero

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt colson is an unknown here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps not but I presumed based on:
[ QUOTE ]
We've never played together

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-10-2006, 07:47 PM

i lamely forgot my plan for non flop streets. if utg calls and alan folds, i put him in on any turn. if alan calls, regardless of any utg action, i check any turn, somewhat quickly.

i think that there might be some value to doing a small bit of acting and pushing the flop, if you really have no history with alan.

c
Old 02-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Ok, lets suppose he has AA-KK.

You think you're getting more money from Allen, if you bet the flop, check the turn and bet the river than if you check the flop, bet the turn and bet the river?

[ QUOTE ]
Ive played with Alan, I don't think he's one of those read into your soul guys. He plays really good, solid poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I also know that Allen is one of those players not afraid to take a good pot when nobody want it or are afraid to do so. And this is a good pot, he has the stack and the position to do it. If there is a spot for him to do this, this is exactly it.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:52 PM

i think mlg doesn't think there's a very good chance at all of getting all of alan's chips here if he has AA, but he thinks he can get the maximum number of chips by doing what he said, bet, check, bet. of course this changes if alan does something in response beyond call, check, on the first two streets.

c
Old 02-10-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ou think you're getting more money from Allen, if you bet the flop, check the turn and bet the river than if you check the flop, bet the turn and bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

god yes. as soon as you check the flop, if he bets anything you do screams strength, and he is shutting down.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, but I also know that Allen is one of those players not afraid to take a good pot when nobody want it or are afraid to do so. And this is a good pot, he has the stack and the position to do it. If there is a spot for him to do this, this is exactly it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands are in his range that he will do this with?