Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: weak top pair

there are a lot of people behind you and your hand is marginal. check-and-see.

i don't mind leading here with a smaller field or with a stronger hand.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM

I like just calling on the flop here because of where the bet came from. I would rather check/raise good cards on the turn than lead and that would be a card to do it on. I don't see what donking accomplishes there.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:03 PM

abs,

what about when the turn is the 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and villain checks behind?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM
 is offline

abs,
i think c/raising that turn will never fold a better 8.
b/f the turn can allow us to get away if villain has a strong hand, but we're called down by better 8s...
anyway any line sucks with that crappy top pair.
in fact, if opponent is a classical passive guy, i'd rather c/c the flop and c/f the turn. especially that 7 sucks.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:31 PM

If he's that passive then against his range you might be better off just check folding the flop since it's a small pot and you probably have 3 outs on average. I guess I don't think the turn is getting checked through very often after he leads into multiple opponents on the flop (why is the turn now a check on this dry board when there are even fewer opponents?) I do think just calling the flop is fine if you're going to continue, but then I don't see any good options for the turn.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:05 PM

*grunch*

I would personally fold this preflop. Mainly to keep myself from getting in this kind of situation.

On the flop I would fold since you have few ways of improving and probably not the best hand.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 PM

fyi ... you can't donk the turn - the pot is unraised

that said ... you have a top pair on a board that is unlikely to have hit anyone (and an overcard) ... I think leading out in this spot is pretty easy

flop as played ... after you check and it's bet and called in one spot I doubt you have enough equity to check-raise (especially since you're OOP ... this devalues your hand even more)

after UTG bet/3bets I doubt you are good - though because you check raised, you can't really fold (plus you getting around 9:1) ... at the table I might think this goof is playing a big pocket pair like this (or nines ... and course a set ... don't think i see someone play A8 like this)

EDIT
after Tyler's post ...
I didnt' notice we have like 5 to the flop ... leading out into that many is probably not a stellar idea!
generally i think the standard to lead out into the field this size is TPTK
i would go, as others said, with a check and see

after UTG bets and CO calls ... i would call (thinking my crappy top pair isn't too hot - and looking for a turn card that gives me a little something else)