Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Can\'t sleep after heavy drinking

This happens to me every time. I looked it up once and read something about you wake up at the exact time the last bit of alcohol leaves your system (so if you measure the rate your body metabolizes alcohol you can pinpoint when you will wake up). You get a surge of adrenaline or something at that point and that's when you wake up (not sure exactly what the last part was and I can't find it now :-(

but I did find this article which is pretty good:

http://blogs.webmd.com/sleep-disorde...and-sleep.html

[ QUOTE ]
Conversely, we see that alcohol affects your quality of sleep. There are several things that happen to the body once asleep after drinking:

* Alcohol inhibits glutamine, one of the body's natural stimulants. When the drinker stops drinking, the body tries to make up for lost time by producing more glutamine than it needs stimulating the brain.
* This brain stimulation will keep you in the light stages of sleep not the deep refreshing sleep, which likely causes the fatigue felt with a hangover. Severe glutamine rebound during a hangover also may be responsible for tremors, anxiety, restlessness and increased blood pressure.
* Alcohol is metabolized at the rate of approximately one glass of wine or one-half pint of beer per hour. Therefore, after four to five drinks in the hours before bedtime, alcohol concentrations in blood approach zero approximately halfway through the night.
* Withdrawal tends to occur in the last half of the night and produces shallow, disrupted sleep, increases REM sleep, increases dream or nightmare recall, and sympathetic arousal, including tachycardia and sweating.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2007, 03:40 AM

i dont go to sleep when im drunk anymore :/

always sucks and i have a hangover anyway so ill stay up 5 hrs until im sober
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 AM

Whenever I get totally wasted I have the best sleep of my life when I go to sleep and just sleep foreveeeeeeeer and it feels incredibly amazing.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 AM

I've found that if you get drunk every day the problem goes away rather quickly.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I get totally wasted I have the best sleep of my life when I go to sleep and just sleep foreveeeeeeeer and it feels incredibly amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was the same til my late 20s. If I get way too drunk and dehydrated this is standard now though. I figured it's just part of an aging drunkard who is out of shape. The best solution when planning a bender is to drink water throughout the day/night between drinks. A multi-vitamin helps too. When I do get the 4 hour worthless sleep feel like ass can't get back to bed problem my remedy is a light breakfast, 2 bong hits, and a glass of water or two.

edit: also, avoid caffeinated mixers. a double jack and coke before bar closing will very likely [censored] your sleep up despite falling asleep easily.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:33 AM

Happens to me but I kinda like it. I always have a hard time waking up for work/school unless I drank the day before, in which case i'm up pretty early!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:19 AM

Yeah this happens to me and I can feel my heart beating through my chest real heavy so it's even harder to fall back asleep.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 AM

Dont worry.

I cant sleep when sober.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:12 AM

i probably have my best sleeps when drunk.