Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: WPT Paris, worth going?

[ QUOTE ]
Define "old".... it got remodelled during Napoleon's reign. But, it is indeed a beautiful city, definately need to go there once

[/ QUOTE ]
Old in that it has retained much of its 18th centiary charm unlike some of europes other cities.

Alot got mashed in the war - which was a shame

As for the language barrier, nah you just need a small phrase book.
"one beer please" "wheres the hotel" " i need two girls for one night"

And the french dont hate americans anymore than the english/spanish/germans/dutch/flemish/italians/greeks/swiss/irish/portugese/austrians/scottish/danish......hate them hahahahahahah

go and have a great time
Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Been talking with a few guys. Would this event be worth going to? Also, which sites offer satellites to it? Anyone been to the Aviation club before? What about paris? Tell me about it if you can, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

paris truly was a beautiful city in 1970, the last time i was there, although, there was one problem with it even then... it was lousy with frenchmen !!!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
paris truly was a beautiful city in 1970, the last time i was there, although, there was one problem with it even then... it was lousy with frenchmen !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - same problem still exists!

As for language, no - you'll be fine in the city. Go out to the country and you might have some small issues... But a smile & some effort will make everything go well...
Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know 0 french, will this be a big problem?
and the frenchies do hate americans,eh? will this be a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

The U.S. Department of State Web Site says France is America's oldest ally. Even though there are fairly large social differences now, it seems like Americans may slander France more than they do us.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 PM

Ill just say im canadian
Old 02-23-2007, 07:15 AM

Remember to wear decent shoes. I was wearing new black skate shoes and got turned away at the door by the bouncer. I had to go out and buy a new pair of shoes [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] which later ended up thrown to the wayside since i was backpacking and didnt want to lug them around. It eneded well though since i won enough to cover the cost of the shoes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 02-23-2007, 08:14 AM

Will Stars do sats for this? This is about the only event this year that I could actually get the time off to play.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:15 PM

Just to chime in...I lived in Paris for 6 months last year and can confirm that it is an awesome place to visit/live. Speaking no french shouldnt be a problem, I speak french but there are tons of anglophones there and it is such a touristic destination that many of the french will speak enough english to get by (esp in hotels, bars, airports etc..).

If your deciding between Paris and another random event, id pick paris every time... gl.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:57 PM

will stars do sats for this?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know 0 french, will this be a big problem?
and the frenchies do hate americans,eh? will this be a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

The U.S. Department of State Web Site says France is America's oldest ally. Even though there are fairly large social differences now, it seems like Americans may slander France more than they do us.

[/ QUOTE ]
The US has been an ally of France in the Revelutionary War, Napoleanic Wars / War of 1812, WWI, and WWII. The French were very important to the success of US independence, and the US was important to France in the early 20th century.

French used to be the language of diplomacy and France has long been a major power. English is widely spoken in France, but not as much as Holland and Scandanavia, where English is similar to the native languages. The French have a hard time accepting English, the language of their traditional enemies the UK, as the international language, and the US as a dominant world power. There is probably additional hostility due to attitudes about Bush and the war.

Generally it is appreciated if you try to speak to people in French, and they will sometimes answer back in English.

The US is a large English speaking area, along with neighboring areas of Canada and the Caribean, so some Americans are not too aware of other languages and cultures. In Paris, I saw American tourists asking long questions in English and repeating them louder when they were not understood. Basically, be sensitive to people's culture and pride and don't act like a jerk, and you shouldn't have too much problems.