Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: An OMGWTF line with AKs

I should have mentioned that I assumed this was the case. This was a good hand to post. Even though you played it very differently than you normally would have, there is a lot to learn from this. It emphasizes the need for aggression, and shows what it is like to be a calling station. Its tough.

-Jaxx
Old 08-26-2006, 11:33 AM

Instead of checking after the flop, you could have made a probe bet of 1/3 pot... If he re-raises, then consider folding... Overpair? JJ / QQ ???
Old 08-26-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of checking after the flop, you could have made a probe bet of 1/3 pot... If he re-raises, then consider folding... Overpair? JJ / QQ ???

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm villain and I see hero make a 1/3 pot bet into me on the flop I'm raising with any two.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:41 AM

I would fold on the flop so I wouldnt get in further trouble. The mistake that made all the trouble is th call preflop.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold on the flop so I wouldnt get in further trouble. The mistake that made all the trouble is th call preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would fold preflop?!?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, my check on turn was an attempted C/R

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds vry spewy and unnecessary. Villain will vry rarely bet something on the turn that folds to a c/r.

When you call pf your essentially hoping to hit tptk and trap a certain type of villain that overplays tp. The big pots you win when this happens make up for teh times you c/f to a cb from JQ or something. So just c/f flop or if you think this cb signals alot of weakness for this villain then c/r him.

I think calling river sucks. He is making a thin value bet far too often. I either fold or c/r depending on how likely I think the guy is to fold something like 88/67s to such a fruity line.

Paul
Old 08-26-2006, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm villain and I see hero make a 1/3 pot bet into me on the flop I'm raising with any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one argument for making the same sort of bet with a monster to balance. I don't tend to play that way because I feel like it's sacrificing value on my monsters that isn't repaid when my opponents aren't that observant anyway.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You would fold preflop?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he would rr.

Paul
Old 08-26-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, my check on turn was an attempted C/R

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but wouldn't that argue in favor of leading the river?

Or is the argument against leading that you're clearly in check-call, bluff-induction mode? And if that is the argument, then that's what you have to do on the river right?

A reasonable range for Villain would probably include 88, 66, 55, possibly A9, maybe even TT as well as AK, AQ, KQ, maybe AJ or Axs down to maybe A8s. The pocket pairs seem slightly more likely from an unknown, just because not everyone knows to continuation bet and not everyone would find the courage to bluff the river. You could certainly be ahead but it's a really tough call, obviously dependent on Villain. I'd lean to folding but that's because suspicion is a huge leak in my game right now. YMMV. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2006, 12:25 PM

Paul,

[ QUOTE ]

Villain will vry rarely bet something on the turn that folds to a c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

nonsense! A turn C-R looks very strong and villain will fold lots of one pair hands on this board, things like TT,JJ,88,9T,89. Most 2p2ers will fold KK and QQ to a turn CR.

Leading the turn is pretty good, it's the cheap way to get villain to fold really weak hands.

The big problem with a turn CR is he can just check behind with weak one pairs, stuff like 44 which he can win a showdown with but won't call a turn lead.

Re: the river call, I like it against someone who you know is way over-aggro, but against an unknown or solid player I think it's -EV. A lot of 2p2 TAG/LAG types are actually over-aggro and will bet a lot of junk on a river like this.