Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: ATs limp EP

i really can't believe people are advocating folding preflop. i am only slightly less preplexed that people would advocate limping. ATs is a good hand that plays well short-handed or multiway. raise raise raise for value.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM

Preflop limp is OK. You want another 2 or more callers and you are strong enough to call if its 2-betted. I would raise ATs for value in MP or later or short-handed. In EP ATs is at best for raising purposes a borderline hand. At loose passive tables you might reduce value by raising. At some tight tables you might gain value by raising.

Button raised. He might have a good pocket pair or good offsuited highcards. If he is a tough player he raised with A8s, K10s, QJs or higher. If he is loose, aggressive he raised his position rather than his cards.

utg+1 and you called. UTG+1 probably has a medium pp, AJ, KQ, or A10s like you. If he is loose he might have lower cards. If he has not seen action for a while, there is also a slim chance he is slowplaying a monster.

---- Flop ---
UTG1 bets. He probably has an ace. If so your AT is a marginal hand, because you have probably no better kicker. The board is dangerous due to the two clubs. I think raising is correct. You have to protect your hand here, hoping to play it heads-up. Button calls cold. He probably has a Monster like QQ or a kind of drawing hands like clubs. Or he is overplaying KQ which is common in Micro-limit.
UTG1 calls.

---- Turn ---
UTG1 bets. Alert. Now i´m sure he has something like AJ or ATs. I don´t like to battle it out, with the expectation to lose to AJ or to split the pot. Also i dislike the position between the 2 opponents. I wouldn´t raise here and simple call in the hope to catch him with a loose AXs. If Button raises i´m probably beaten with an 3-outer. Clear fold.
If Button calls. I would c/c it down on the river.

After the raise UTG1 reraises. Now again i´m probably beaten now or when a club comes on the river. After the Button folds, UTG1 might be convinced he has a good ace or he played something like pocket eights agressively on the flop. If he is a tight player you might have a fold here. If you think he is somewhat loose and bet/raise any top pair regardless his kicker. Call him down.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BU: 16.5/9.5/total AF 1.76/turn AF 3.46 - 550 hands
UGT+1: 18.6/10/total AF 1.67/turn AF 2.0 - 350 hands

0.15/0.30 Fixed-Limit Hold'em <font color="blue">(10 handed)</font>
Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="grey">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="grey">4 folds</font>, <font color="red">BU raises</font>, <font color="grey">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

<ul type="square">I NOW know that i should raise or fold[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

first off i really appreciate you extra effort in adding colors and inserting blank lines to improve the readability of your post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] thanks!

your comment about raising UTG+1 is interesting...given that he is V$PIP is only 18% and he raises pre-flop 10% its implied he has a narrow range of merely limping...and ATs with position on UTG+1 probably gives you the best of it heads up against him...also with the button also tight, a raise seems pretty reasonable here--likely to get you heads up...

still, imo limping in is okay here too, and no big error if it is an error...
Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer limp or fold with ATs in early position, more often fold than limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, if you are just starting out at poker (i.e. have been playing for only a few months) you are probably better served not playing ATs from EP or even MP. It can be difficult to play postflop.

However, for experienced players, folding this preflop for one bet is quite bad.

When I started playing, I folded this always from the first 3 seats. As I gained more experience, I began to either raise or limp it, based on variables like table conditions, table image, etc.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:05 PM

UTG has a set of twos. Don't fold PF. I don't really get the turn raise either.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="grey">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="grey">4 folds</font>, <font color="red">BU raises</font>, <font color="grey">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.47 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, BU calls, UTG+1 calls.

<ul type="square">Here should I probably just call down cus dont know power of PFA and flop bettor or even fold cus dont have position, right?[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the raise on the flop...i don't know if could have thought of that in the heat of battle...but given how UTG+1 has played the hand so far, you could well be ahead...if he has an Ace only AJo is the only hand i can see him beating you with given how he has played (i would think his stats say is he is knowledgible about starting hands, so no AA, QQ, KK, AK, AQ in his hand is likely)maybe 22's here, or A2s in another suit, but a good bet to figure out where you stand plus your raise may to knock out Button...

but we don't have much of an idea what BU &amp; UTG+1 think of you..you did not provide your stats, only theirs...also, your limp on preflop then betting looks like flush draw semi-bluff, or 2 suited cards in you hand that caught a piece of the flop, or KQ of clubs etc...BB would be a little confused/suspect right now and probably willing to go another street; nice bet though and good try to push out BU i think...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (7.47 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, BU calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.73 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, <font color="grey">BU folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

<ul type="square">here probably just call down, cus opponent dont afraid me after flop raise[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think call down is right here...UTG+1, assuming he is playing ABC, has A2, A8, AT, or AJ...with A2 you have Q,8 to counterfeit and T to outdraw, 9 outs...A8 you have 3 to counterfeit 3 to out draw, 6 outs which may be a little thin but i think you have pot odds...AT you split; AJ has you beat...all that assumes UTG+1 is playing ABC, not slowplaying AA or AK nor semi-bluffing with middle pair or lower...BU has shown no strength, don't know if he would drop if he only had to call one--(if he is on a flush draw in clubs we don't have as many outs)

anyway, thanks for putting up the hand for us to chew up...based on the care you put into posting this hand i would think you have the traits needed to develop yourself into a good player...