Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Default Re: 4_2_it in the Well

UTG at a standard 6 max NL game. Table is average with 2 loose players, 1 of them is two to your left with a VP$IP of over 50%. The other 3 are made up of one other decent TAG who you have position on, one nit and one slightly loose player who is generally clueless. How are you playing these hands first in

1. TJs
2. QTs
3. ATs
4. A9s
5. Q9s
6. KTs
7. QJo
8. KJo
9. ATo
10. What is the lowest PP you raise UTG and do you ever limp PPs?

I am assuming that are stronger hands than those mentioned are raises and all weaker are folds ............ but where is that line?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 AM

What is your poker background, what limits do you play, how fast did you move up?

How many hrs/day do you play?

What is your current bankroll?

What is the coolest thing you bought with your winnings?

Biggest winning day? Biggest losing day?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your poker story? how / when did you start and where are you at in the poker world now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Married: 2 daughters

I never really played much until a little over 3 years ago when I moved to PA to take my current position. I was invited by one of my new co-workers to play in his home game, which was $0.50/$1 limit. After about 3 months, we were playing $20 tourneys and had a $0.50/$1 NL side game going.

About this time, I started playing online at Pokerstars. I lost my $100 playing $0.50/$1 Limit. Then my second $100 as well.

My third $100 was down to $15 when I decided to play switch to NL. I worked my way through the micros playing basically a set mining strategy.

I didn't discover 2+2 until about 16 months ago when a co-worker said something. I was already dabbling in NL$100, but quickly realized that I was not playing optimally.

Thanks to old timers like Fimbulwinter, TWP, xorbie, ghazban and Yves my weak tight ways were quickly identified (They just humiliated me until I saw the light [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

AJ was around and can testify to that fact.

Now I play NL$200 mostly at FT. I am a recreational player and use my winnings as fun money.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:59 AM

How many five year olds?

What's your preferred exact table size? Waving away other considerations, how many opponents do you like to have at the table to feel like your natural game works best? And has that changed over time?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 AM

If you were going to play NL hold em with a joker in the deck, how would you adjust your play?

Also, would a NL ring game with 20 players at a single table be an interesting change of pace, or just suck totally? (I'm more interested in the strategic/play implications than the obvious logistical problems.)
Old 08-14-2006, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6-MAX SSNL QUESTIONS.

Suggestions on playing suited connectors, 1 gappers, 2 gappers in position @ SSNL if it's been...

A. Raised to you with no callers.
B. Raised to you with 1 or more callers.
C. Limped to you.
D. Folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it is really opponent dependent. If I am sitting with a fish on my right then I want to see a lot of flops cheaply with hands that can hit big.

Having said that, assuming an average SSNL table and FULL stacks:

A. Fold. Unless raiser is a true nit who will stack off with an overpair then call with SCs and one gaps to 86s. Fold 2-gappers. I will re-raise maybe 20% of the time to vary my play or if I know that is a good chance I will take

B. Call SCs down to 67s. 1-gappers to T8s and fold 2-gappers.

C. Raise SCs from 67s up. Raise J9s and up.

D. OTB I'm raising if I am playing. If the blinds are weak it will be any two. If the blinds are decent players then 56o and 75s would be my bottom thresholds. Occasionally I will limp stuff like J9s if the opposition is weak. I agree with Sklansky and Miller on button limping FWIW.

[ QUOTE ]
What about early/middle position, fold most/all SCs due to being out of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, unless the table is extra juicy then I will limp a few just to mix things up.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, thoughts on raising 66 or less in any position? Better to limp? I feel like I'm wasting a raise since people don't fold anyhow and I'm not left with much, especially in a multiway pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found that open raising any PP has worked for me. You have 14 outs on the flop (any A, K or Q plus you r2 money cards) at which to take a stab at the pot. If you have a tight (or nitty [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) image this will allow you to take down a nice medium sized pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

YW
Old 08-14-2006, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why continuation bet?

The idea of raising and then continuation betting has come into my mind lately. You are risking 1/10th of your stack, so if you fail 10 or so times, you are pretty much stacked. To me it seems like a waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you have a tight table image and raise in position you show be forcing your opponent to have a hand to stay in the pot with you.

The looser your image, the less respect your CBs will get and at some I am sure that it becomes a spew.

Reasons to CB:

1) Hand protection (AK is still likely best if pot is HU)
2) To get paid when you hit a flop. Only betting with the goods will not get you much action when you actually have a hand
3) Fire an occasional 2nd barrel into nits or guys who like to chase. A lot of players who will call a 3/4 pot CB will fold to a pot-sized turn bet. Use scare cards to your advantage in position.
4) Be less apt to raise light OOP if your CBs are working. Position becomes more important at NL$100 and up. Folding ATo UTG in your 2nd orbit at the table isn't weak.
5) Chicks dig guys who know how to CB properly [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Also too, why cant I beat 100nl?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Pokey's fault [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] He has educated all the fish at that level. You should move up to NL$400 before he ruins that.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 AM

1) how can I stop running like a welshman?

2) how did you get to be such a pimp?

3) what sports do you watch/play?

4) Whats teh LAGies you've every played and what differences did you note?

5) whats the highest you've ever played?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. What color should I paint my guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good enough for Randy Rhodes, good enough for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
2. How many 2+2ers w/ over 1000 posts do you think are LONG TERM losing players? a few?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me break it down:

Posters who regged last month and spend majority of time in OOT -- 80%

Posters who regged in last 3 months and spend time on strat forums - ~35%

Posters who have been around for 6 months or more - 10-15%

It seems if someone lasts for 3-4 months as a regular on the boards then they will be around for a while.

Caveat - I have over 200k hands in PT with a decwent winrate and another 100k or so before PT and I still wonder if I am a Long Term winner. The LONG TERM is much longer than any one can imagine......
Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 AM

What have been the biggest changes in your game in the last 3 months?