Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How many outs do I have?
1, 2 or 3 1 16.67%
4 or 5 0 0%
6 or 7 1 16.67%
8 or 9 1 16.67%
10 or more 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: What 4 Cards Would Be The Nuts Here?

[ QUOTE ]
wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

the player wants to know if you like BBQ flavored cornuts or the nancho flavored ones
Old 01-02-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
many times the nuts on the turn is not the favorite, if someone has a big draw, like wrap + nut low.

[/ QUOTE ] the nuts is the favorite. if someone has a set and you have like a wheel wrap and it is favored, then your draw is the nuts because it is favored over the set. the nuts is not the highest made hand but more of the best posible hand. (correct me if i'm wronge)

[/ QUOTE ]for example:

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Dork has 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop is 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

i would say that Hero has the nuts here even though dork has a set

[/ QUOTE ]
His question is merely a terminology one.

The nuts are simply the best possible current hand. Sometimes it can be adapted to a kind of hand (nut straight, nut flush). Having said that, neither player has the nuts. The current nuts are A288, for the top set with the low nuts. (Or the nut set if you want to put in a pun). Since neither player has the best possible hand, neither has the nuts, simple as that. Hero does have the nut low hand though (not that it matters because dork can never draw to any low hand), and I really like the heroes' draw, but the board pairing will give the dork a better hand than any the hero is hoping for.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The nuts are simply the best possible current hand. Sometimes it can be adapted to a kind of hand (nut straight, nut flush). Having said that, neither player has the nuts. The current nuts are A288, for the top set with the low nuts. (Or the nut set if you want to put in a pun). Since neither player has the best possible hand, neither has the nuts, simple as that. Hero does have the nut low hand though (not that it matters because dork can never draw to any low hand), and I really like the heroes' draw, but the board pairing will give the dork a better hand than any the hero is hoping for.

[/ QUOTE ] cardplayer odds calculator has the wrap/flush as the favorite over a288 54% to 46%
Old 01-02-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] cardplayer odds calculator has the wrap/flush as the favorite over a288 54% to 46%

[/ QUOTE ]
That's fine and dandy, and completely irrelevant to what I said. The nuts is not necessarilly the hand that will win, but the current best hand. The nuts can get outdrawn, but on that flop, the nuts are still A288. Decisions as to which hand will be better depends on the size of the pot and the bets.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The nuts is not necessarilly the hand that will win, but the current best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

the current bast hand is the hand with the highest likelyhood of winning, so the flush draw/wheel wrap is the best hand. so it's the nuts.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The nuts is not necessarilly the hand that will win, but the current best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

the current bast hand is the hand with the highest likelyhood of winning, so the flush draw/wheel wrap is the best hand. so it's the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Incorrect. Nuts = Current Best Hand Now, hoping it won't get outdrawn, sometimes incapable of being outdrawn. if the A288 guy and the 55KQ guy are going at it, the 88 guy has the nuts on the flop. if the turn is a 5, dork has 4 of a kind for the new nuts on the turn. if the river is miraculously the last 8, then A288 guy has the new nuts for the river and end of hand.

Edit that for the nuts to be, the current best possible made hand if you want to get picky.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect. Nuts = Current Best Hand Now

[/ QUOTE ]
see thats where you are wronge, because you think that 888 is the "current best hand now" but it isn't. the draw is the "current best hand now". just because it's a real hand and not a draw does not mean it's the best hand. that would be like saying a pair of dueces is a better hand over the draw on the flop because the draw doesn't realy have anything yet, but that would be stupid.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit that for the nuts to be, the current best possible made hand if you want to get picky.

[/ QUOTE ]

"NUTS n. The best possible hand at the time. Not a LOCK unless all cards have been dealt. Usually used in Hold'em games."
http://www.conjelco.com/faq/rgpglossary.html

i dont see where it says it has to be a made hand to be the nuts.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect. Nuts = Current Best Hand Now

[/ QUOTE ]
see thats where you are wronge, because you think that 888 is the "current best hand now" but it isn't. the draw is the "current best hand now". just because it's a real hand and not a draw does not mean it's the best hand. that would be like saying a pair of dueces is a better hand over the draw on the flop because the draw doesn't realy have anything yet, but that would be stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well now you're warping the definiton of "current" and arguing with a person answering your question. If you knew the answer, why did you ask it? Yes, the hero has a hand that has a better chance to outdraw the dork, and dork number 2 with the A288. Still, the definition of the nuts is the best currently possible made hand at that point in time, ignoring future cards. I agree with you, in the vast majority of situations, I'd rather have the draw happy hand of your hero from example 2. The hand still isn't the nuts on the flop. It has a killer chance of being the nuts by the river, and that's why you like it. But it is not the nuts on the flop. Happy?

For every poker hand, some one MUST have the best hand (or tied for it).
For the vast majority of poker hands, no one will have the nuts.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 PM

i dont realy want to argue it with you any more either, i'd rather get a third or fourth point of view but i just pulled up the definition for you with a link and it does not say anywhere the word "made" you added that part to make your case. going on the definition of nuts, "The best possible hand at the time" is the draw.