Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Matusow Robusto?

[ QUOTE ]
You're working for Stars and starting threads like this? Not too professional, imo.

But to answer your question before someone points out that 300/600 is not high stakes: Mike's degenerate act is mostly just that, an act...he's a good player and is always in action.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol@ aussie dude working for stars and starting nvg threads.

and yes Mike is a good player but its true he runs bad like all the time especially at Full tilt. i don't follow him closely but everytime i have seen him play he is losing big.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Who knows how much he has out of poker in investments, real estate, etc. People are more then willing to lend him money all the time.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who knows how much he has out of poker in investments, real estate, etc. People are more then willing to lend him money all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I'm sure that his creditors require collateral.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative. I've said it a few times and I'll say it again. I've lent Mikey tons of money and he always pays back when he says he's going to. In fact I just lent him $10k 4 days ago and he paid back 6 hours later. He's a really good guy and very trustworthy.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative. I've said it a few times and I'll say it again. I've lent Mikey tons of money and he always pays back when he says he's going to. In fact I just lent him $10k 4 days ago and he paid back 6 hours later. He's a really good guy and very trustworthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people in a position to know echo this sentiment. I also happen to like Mike, so maybe my perception is influenced, but the guy is no joke as far as I'm concerned, and I don't think he minds that people buy into his schtick and think he's a joke.

His notion that dying broke is the way to be is also right-on as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Yeah I guess I need to put big flashing lights when I'm being sarcastic.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I guess I need to put big flashing lights when I'm being sarcastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually lol'ed at that, sorry heh, I just said it for other speculators then I guess
Old 01-11-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But to answer your question before someone points out that 300/600 is not high stakes: Mike's degenerate act is mostly just that, an act...he's a good player and is always in action.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he is > 50% degenerate easily. Regardless of his skills his bankroll management sucks and he freely admits that whenever he gets any coin he finds a way to blow it. This is by his admission and from others who have (continue to) keep him afloat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every line in your post is a reflection of the image Matusow himself projects and the things he says, so where's the argument against it being an act of sorts? Obviously there is SOME truth to his being a degenerate, but it's amplified by his willingness to discuss that dark side. I really think he's more functional than a lot of people on tour whom people consider robusto.

Also, I think Mike backed players back in the day with good results. He's had a long and mostly succesful career in poker, and unlike most of the schlub degenerates out there, he's got a lot of heart, too.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I think Mike backed players back in the day with good results. He's had a long and mostly succesful career in poker, and unlike most of the schlub degenerates out there, he's got a lot of heart, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he back Scotty Nugyn when he won the WSOP ME?

Still no matter how you look at it, blowing through 2 million in under a year is no joke.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the 300/600 omaha game here is limit

and yeah, mike is a good player, but that said it would not surprise me at all if he had to be staked for it. money management doesn't seem like a skill of his, and having met him, i'm not sure i agree with shane that "Mike's degenerate act is mostly just that, an act."

it doesn't mean it's not a good game for him though

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really "meet" him or did he just refer to you as the "toothless freak" behind your back since he didn't really know you?