Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: $5 - AKs UTG - Bubble

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is standard.. just wondering if I should've picked a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
AKs is one of the top 3 starting hands, so it doesn't get much better.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see him raising less than AK/TT+

[/ QUOTE ]
You obviously know that AK is a drawing hand and is a coinflip to any pair. However, the only hands you should be worried about are AA/KK.

[ QUOTE ]
What does an overbet like this usually indicate besides him isolating me?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really an over bet as he's protecting his hand by re-raising 3.5x your bet. However, you lose FE since that is close to half his stack and is pot committed no matter what you could re-raise.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just wondering if I made the right play,
even if he shows me QQ preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter if he shows QQ or 22, you're racing. As long as it's not AA/KK, I'm all-in.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by BarryLyndon:
AK Post: I'm posting this as new because I'm tired of it

[ QUOTE ]
You must let go of that poisonous combination of fear and hubris that makes you think that you are about to do something special with AK by folding preflop.

You are not a world class surgeon with the cards. You cannot dissect AK any further. You will not find a theoretical breakthrough for folding AK in a small stakes, non-satelite online tourney almost ever. Numerous Small Stakes tourney theoreticians have tried before. In fact, about one tries every day. It always fails. It fails as hard as communism or Coke Zero. Except, communism always makes for a better read.

You are not a magician. If you fold AK, your online chips will not transpose themselves from the computer screen to your desk moments later and unravel like flowers in bloom, only to reveal sheaths of gold.

You have AK with an M of 8 - ??. There's a push in front of you with an M of 10. There's another call with M of 15. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. It's late. It's early. Your dreams of making a final table are only one and a half hours away. And there's a break coming up! It's a +EV play to push here. That's all it is. +EV. That's what poker is: EV moves. Deal with it.

You're pyschology or greater wants mean nothing. All that matters in the end is the "long run" promise of cEV. Chips only translate to more potential returns if you play them correctly. Please think about this.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 01:42 PM

If you don't have a read like he's ultra-tight player and only re-raises with KK or AA there's no thing like folding AKs pre-flop. Take that coin flip and go for the first. But you'll be OOP on flop so you may try stop n go. And if you're playing MTTs you're playing at least for 3. 30ish left to money means nothing now. Don't play for getting ITM unless you get into an event winning ultra super mega satellites in a row. I lost coinflip with AKs vs QQ and eliminated 19th (i was 13 of 19) when if i should have waited there was a nit on the other table going out with 2bb and like 1 M. But i'm happy about it. And i'm wondering if he's happy with 1.2x buy-in as a prize.

AK is not a drawing hand and besides AhKh is god!! Wait, AsKs is poseidon while AA is zeus.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you just looking for affirmation of your play here or would you seriously listen if someone told you to fold to his 3-bet?

What if I said open fold preflop - you're OOP, have a drawing hand, can find a better spot, etc., etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely not looking for this kind of post.
I apologize for wasting your time.

I'm trying to work on my game,
and I obviously considered folding here otherwise I wouldn't post.

My reason for posting is I don't know if I should be pushing into a flip at best when I'm not committed and still have a healthy stack.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Hand is standard.

I don't understand the thought behind the advice, given by some posters to raise more preflop UTG, specially not when blinds are already high and we have about 20BB. Specially in EP i think it's better to raise less, as it really makes no difference for the following players if you raise 2,5 or 4BB - if they want to play a hand they will do it - but you have more flexibility with a smaller raise-size.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is flaming you. You asked for opinions, they were given, and you seemed uneasy to accept advice.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm far beyond caring if I lose a flip.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
My reason for posting is I don't know if I should be pushing into a flip at best when I'm not committed and still have a healthy stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, this seems to be a bit of a contradiction.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand is standard.

I don't understand the thought behind the advice, given by some posters to raise more preflop UTG, specially not when blinds are already high and we have about 20BB. Specially in EP i think it's better to raise less, as it really makes no difference for the following players if you raise 2,5 or 4BB - if they want to play a hand they will do it - but you have more flexibility with a smaller raise-size.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct
Old 11-14-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why are we raising to 2.5bb? Let's limp. If they want to play they'll call anyway. Actually the real question that came to my mind after that post is "why are we raising?". I think one of the most important thing about raising big is charging the people who'll have position on you.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is flaming you. You asked for opinions, they were given, and you seemed uneasy to accept advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry if I'm coming across that way.
I felt that post was unnecessarily condescending.
I'm here to learn.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm far beyond caring if I lose a flip.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, this seems to be a bit of a contradiction.

[/ QUOTE ]
I mean that I am not emotionally affected when I lose a flip.
What affects me is not knowing if I made the best play.

Thanks for the responses.
Next time I'm in this situation I won't second guess the shove.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think one of the most important thing about raising big is charging the people who'll have position on you.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was my thought too, but as I've been thinking the hand through, I can see the merits in postflop play for raising 2.5xBB-3xBB. I don't think I'll go below 3xBB in this spot, with bigstacks in good positions, but I won't raise more than that either.