Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Where do you take your stud action now?

Sure, why not donate some money to the jeffage fund [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2006, 12:26 AM

I DO agree that absolute poker is a great site to play at b/c of all the rakeback offers but the only problem that exists there is the limited stud traffic. I used to be a winning regular there but quit b/c i got tired of playing against the regulars and the constant "hit and run" morons at 2/4 and up. It's gets old fast when you sit down and see the same 4-5 same ppl everyday and they know how u play and vice versa. It's like what that one fat guy said at the Taj Mahal in the movie "Rounders": "Why are we sitting here takin each other's rolls?" Just dosen't make sense to me playing with the same group of regulars all the time.
That's why i moved to pokerstars which has alot more traffic and fish at the $1/$2 stud lvl and u get less of the hit and run morons at the 2/4 lvl and up.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:14 AM

Pokerstars has stud games going all the time, with about 4 - 6 tables of the lower limits (2/4 and below) going almost all the time, and theres usually a good amount of tables at the limits higher than that.

Depending on how many tables you play and what your winrate is ... I doubt that 28% rakeback is better than being able to improve your hourly rate by multi-tabling, and stars does have some rakebackish deals (VIP).
Old 11-05-2006, 05:52 PM

Absolute has nice incentives, but the rocks in stud and stud 8 can be a bit much. When people are being pricks and whining about a raise someone made with a naked low (OMG rake), or taunting the fish, it doesn't make for a fun game. I played there a fair amount, but I'm toning it down now partially due to that and partially due to rakeback being my only profit in the game.
I am also posting out of self interest, because the player base is small enough that a swarm of 2+2 people would make the game pretty much unprofitable.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:11 PM

hah, well said, all that was said above is true [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2006, 10:17 PM

Depending on how many tables you play and what your winrate is ... I doubt that 28% rakeback is better than being able to improve your hourly rate by multi-tabling, and stars does have some rakebackish deals (VIP).

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute, like crypto, does not deduct bonuses from that 28% rake back. Absolute pretty much offers bottomless bonuses that clear off at roughly equivalent to 50% rake back. Add them together and a conservative estimate of of your yield would be 70% RB not 28%. For 1-2 and 2-4 stud ,it winds up coming out to 1.25 -1.75 BB/100 .If you do some research it’s not hard to find this stuff out. Pokerstars wants you to play an assload before they even offer you a bonus to begin with and they’ve made it very clear that they intend to never offer RB.

You are not limited to multitabling one site at a time. I used to play 3 tables of 2-4 stud at 3 different sites - crypto,absolute and ongame. Pokerstars doesn’t have an inherent advantage of “being able to multitable”.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I DO agree that absolute poker is a great site to play at b/c of all the rakeback offers but the only problem that exists there is the limited stud traffic. I used to be a winning regular there but quit b/c i got tired of playing against the regulars and the constant "hit and run" morons at 2/4 and up. It's gets old fast when you sit down and see the same 4-5 same ppl everyday and they know how u play and vice versa. It's like what that one fat guy said at the Taj Mahal in the movie "Rounders": "Why are we sitting here takin each other's rolls?" Just dosen't make sense to me playing with the same group of regulars all the time.
That's why i moved to pokerstars which has alot more traffic and fish at the $1/$2 stud lvl and u get less of the hit and run morons at the 2/4 lvl and up.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not one guy playing in there that I would call a "rounder" or any other such thing. Those games are way beatable. Furthermore it's very unlikely that the same person who breaks even in there is going over to Pokerstars and smacking them around for 2BB/100-plus which is the scenario required for a break even player to take his action over there profitably. You're right, the 2-4 traffic is bad at times but the 1-2 is great and the 2-4 is getting better. Why not just keep checking instead of coming in here and encouraging people to take their action where they're getting jipped instead? I'm not sure what you mean by "hit and run morons" but something tells me that it's something you can avoid subjecting yourself to by sitting out. You don't have to play heads-up. Your not talking about people sitting down in a multiway game and then leaving are you? I'm pretty sure that's going on in Pokerstars as well.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolute has nice incentives, but the rocks in stud and stud 8 can be a bit much. When people are being pricks and whining about a raise someone made with a naked low (OMG rake), or taunting the fish, it doesn't make for a fun game. I played there a fair amount, but I'm toning it down now partially due to that and partially due to rakeback being my only profit in the game.
I am also posting out of self interest, because the player base is small enough that a swarm of 2+2 people would make the game pretty much unprofitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly haven't seen a higher occurance of prickism there than I've seen at any other site. The average player at Absolute IS an average 2+2er. The games are great. Open the floodgates.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 PM

Stars.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:52 PM

I have moved over to Stars since I am focusing on 10/20 games right now. I set up an account at Full Tilt but have only played there once due to scarcity of games at 8/16 and above. I am hoping that Full Tilt picks up as the player incentives sure do seem better than Stars, but game selection is the big driver for me right now. With the death of Party it seems that you need to play short handed and heads up a fair bit if you want to keep the table time up. Fortunately for me, I now prefer heads-up and short handed games anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]