Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Need help with bankroll management.

[ QUOTE ]
Idn if ur talking No limit or limit.

300 x the big bet for Limit / $9,000 for 15/30 Fixed
20 x the buy-in for No Limit / $60,000 for 15/30 NL

Do u expect to be able to run $20 up again? GL...
If u deposit $50, You are rolled for the penny tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

nl 20 buyin rule applies to small stakes.

you're gonna want $150k to play 15/30 nl.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NO MATTER WHAT, if you aren't rolled for the limits your playing for, eventually variance will kick in and you will lose it all. You can't be successful if you don't roll yourself properly.

20 BI MINIMUM, I generally want more than that but thats cause I'm a nit [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
In low stakes games, 20 buy-ins is quite conservative for a solid winner. It's much more conservative than having 300 BB for a low stakes limit game, even though people incorrectly present them as the same. The analogue might be 10-12 buy-ins.

While many people will say things like, "Countdown to busto!" when someone talks about playing with a few buy-ins, it is often the case that the player's risk of ruin is still small, far less than 50%, if he plays well and doesn't keep moving up. It's far from certain that an underbankrolled winning player will bust out. When I move up, or try a game, I set a stop loss of a few buy-ins, and I have rarely hit the stop loss.

A player winning 16 big blinds/100 with a standard deviation of 80 big blinds/100 who will never move down or up will have a risk of ruin of about e^-10 ~ 0.00454%. Such a player would have a risk of ruin of e^-4 ~ 1.83% with 8 buy-ins, and less if he is willing to move down. A player with 4 buy-ins (or who sets a stop loss of 4 buyins when taking a shot at a higher level) would have a risk of ruin of about e^-2 ~ 13.5%. Almost no one will seriously tell you to play with 4 buy-ins, but if you have the skills, 6/7 of the time you will not bust out.

A far more serious danger than bankroll mismanagement is for people to believe that they are winning players, or even experts, when they are losers. This is far more important than the difference between a 1% and a 0.01% risk of ruin, which will affect you less than 1% of the time. Having 20 buy-ins does not turn you into a winning player, and a losing player will eventually lose it all 100% of the time.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Idn if ur talking No limit or limit.

300 x the big bet for Limit / $9,000 for 15/30 Fixed
20 x the buy-in for No Limit / $60,000 for 15/30 NL

Do u expect to be able to run $20 up again? GL...
If u deposit $50, You are rolled for the penny tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

nl 20 buyin rule applies to small stakes.

you're gonna want $150k to play 15/30 nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I am talking about micro/low stake rules. I don't play high stakes. I did give my rules which was wrong, but I was just trying to give OP an Idea of where he should be at. He seems to expect to be able to deposit less than $100 and run it up to a few thousand again.

I could be wrong and maybe a few Gs is nothing to OP and he wants to play high or nothing at all. If thats the case have fun and keep trying. If you really want to make money and can't afford to deposit more, you are going to have to stay low and build it up. Just remember even the best players will have a losing streak lasting thousands of hands.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

Guys, the OP was talking about limit hold'em.

Playing at 15/30, a sufficient bankroll for a winning player is around $10,000. It can be a good bit less than this if said player is willing to move down if they're on a cold streak.

Now, OP mentioned he lost $15,000 in a few days playing 15/30 before, I believe. If that's the case, he took a 500 BB hit in just a few days. Not good.

Jess, if you're still reading this, I would tell you to dial back on what limit you play and play fewer tables. Also, get PokerTracker if you do not already have it, so you know how good of a player you are on an objective basis.