Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Second Try At Same Question

Actually it just hit me. The answer is neither.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:24 PM

Well, God says in the bible that we should not worship other Gods than him. So it seems the "other monotheist" has an added sin there, everything else being equal.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it more sinful to believe in a much different monotheistic religion than yours or to disbelieve in God completely?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think belief is a choice. I think the motivation matters. So if someone has made genuine effort and formed an incorrect view, I dont think it matters one way or the other. Of course, I dont believe in eternal punishment for either, so I'm probably not the kind of theist you're interested in hearing from. Nonetheless, I think god cares about the process more than the end result.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it more sinful to believe in a much different monotheistic religion than yours or to disbelieve in God completely?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think belief is a choice. I think the motivation matters. So if someone has made genuine effort and formed an incorrect view, I dont think it matters one way or the other. Of course, I dont believe in eternal punishment for either, so I'm probably not the kind of theist you're interested in hearing from. Nonetheless, I think god cares about the process more than the end result.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is almost without doubt that you must be correct if a personal God exists at all. In fact I think that there is probably an irrefutable chain of reasoning that one could come up with that more or less proves your positon.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:03 AM

So the answer would be neither.

Sin is sin, there is no "more sinful" in the long run. Cold blooded murderers god has forgiven so its not the severity of the sin, but the consious continuing of sin.

bunny says it better then I can with "I think god cares about the process more than the end result."
Old 09-26-2007, 05:16 AM

I’m no theologian, but I’ll give it a try.

The first of the Ten Commandments is – I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have strange gods before me. So, believing in a different monotheistic religion is a not a good idea.

Now, we can say Protestants believe in the same God as Catholics. But if they don’t interpret Jesus’ words the same, is it the same God? We can discuss that theologically speaking in more detail. But you get the idea.

I’d say if you “believe” there is no God, then that is akin to a false god.

Better off with taking the 5th or pleading no contest and taking the agnostic stance than going the Muslim route or other, probably.

Oh yeah, as you know the Ten Commandments were handed down to the Jews, so maybe sticking there won’t be too bad. Might get off with just a penalty for being tardy.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 AM

I guess it's worse to believe in another religion since they are harder to covert to the "right" religion
Old 09-26-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, as you know the Ten Commandments were handed down to the Jews, so maybe sticking there won’t be too bad. Might get off with just a penalty for being tardy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, both the jews and christians will be penalized for being tardy in relation to the muslims, and they in turn will get a penalty for being tardy in relation to bahai's. And so it goes on... yawn!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's worse to believe in another religion since they are harder to covert to the "right" religion

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be harder to convince an atheist to believe at all than a theist to believe in a different religion? I know several converts from one religion to another, but I know none who considered himself an atheist and moved on to religion.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be harder to convince an atheist to believe at all than a theist to believe in a different religion? I know several converts from one religion to another, but I know none who considered himself an atheist and moved on to religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a valid point. But think about it, if you are a true believer it makes no sense to change religion