Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: I do this a lot now

[ QUOTE ]
this doesnt work if villain is a very good player bc hes just putting one bet in the river but in general this river cr spot is the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's right. good player b/f IP on the river.

other question is how many times do you call the 3-bet preflop, call a flop bet and than villain checks behind the turn?
this happens to me at least at lower limits like once in 500 hands.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont remember the last time i played wa/wb on this board. i just c/r flop and fling monkey poo on the way to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I see this checked behind on the turn fairly often, as lots of people will usually have an A when they c/c tis flop. (I will also check behind this turn often in villain's spot with an underpair).
Old 08-23-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dont remember the last time i played wa/wb on this board. i just c/r flop and fling monkey poo on the way to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I see this checked behind on the turn fairly often, as lots of people will usually have an A when they c/c tis flop. (I will also check behind this turn often in villain's spot with an underpair).

[/ QUOTE ]

So what?

If you CR the flop and he calls and folds the turn you win 1BB. If you check/call the flop and he checks behind turn and calls your river bet you win 1.5BB. If you CR the flop and he raises the turn and bets the river you lose 3BB. If you CR the flop and he 3 bets and you call down you lose 2.5BB.

If the guy has an underpair the way we get the most out of him is by check/calling the flop unless he starts folding to our river bets. Hence the WA/WB line. Now I will grant that against certain opposition there will be a need to vary the lines taken but in a vacuum it seems like a c/c flop line is best. What am I missing?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:00 PM

in really aggressive games and especially aggressive short games you are missing value by not putting in more action because nobody believes anybody and nobody folds anything. that isn't to say i think checkraising the flop is the best play but it should certainly be in your bag of moves.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in really aggressive games and especially aggressive short games you are missing value by not putting in more action because nobody believes anybody and nobody folds anything. that isn't to say i think checkraising the flop is the best play but it should certainly be in your bag of moves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fully agree here. BTW, weren't you the one who started the WA/WB line with Ax? Maybe we need to call that CDC's theorem. I have been working on a "surfdoc's theorem" which should be unveiled soon as long as a few people think it is good.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what?

If you CR the flop and he calls and folds the turn you win 1BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

In most of these games, he's not folding the turn after we c/r the flop.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what?

If you CR the flop and he calls and folds the turn you win 1BB. If you check/call the flop and he checks behind turn and calls your river bet you win 1.5BB. If you CR the flop and he raises the turn and bets the river you lose 3BB. If you CR the flop and he 3 bets and you call down you lose 2.5BB.

If the guy has an underpair the way we get the most out of him is by check/calling the flop unless he starts folding to our river bets. Hence the WA/WB line. Now I will grant that against certain opposition there will be a need to vary the lines taken but in a vacuum it seems like a c/c flop line is best. What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your missing the part about guys making horrible calldowns with pp. If you think they will automatically fold any non-A hand to a check raise and turn bet then I think you are overestimating your fold equity.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM

yeah, no one folds any pair to a flop c/r and turn bet, especially with a flush draw on the flop, which is why i said i "dont remember the last time i played wa/wb on this board"

anyway i'll post some hands i guess. i know they're not all the same situation as OP, i just don't think the best line in a vacuum is ck/calling flop. also i realize most of these are just 5/10 hands. but imo it's a similar game to stars 10/20

******* Hand 1 ********

vs. bad tag:

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.6SB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.3BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.3BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Results:
Final pot: 13.3BB
<font color="#ffffff">Hero Shows Ah Jd</font>
he has Ac 9c - ridic river bet yes.

******* Hand 2 ********

this one obviously different, being a blind battle.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 9BB
<font color="#ffffff">Hero Shows Ah 10h</font>
he has kings

******* Hand 3 ********

btn's a solid 2p2er,

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.75BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9.75BB, 2 players)

Results:
Final pot: 11.75BB
<font color="#ffffff">Hero Shows 9d Ah</font>
he has queens

******* Hand 4 ********

vs. an unknown

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.6SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.8BB, 2 players)

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.8BB, 2 players)

Results:
Final pot: 9.8BB
<font color="#ffffff">Hero Shows Ks 10d</font>
he has eights

******* Hand 5 ********

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (10SB, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7BB, 2 players)

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9BB, 2 players)

Results:
Final pot: 11BB
<font color="#ffffff">Hero Shows 8c Kc</font>
he has nines

people just don't fold.

there was another hand (couldn't find hh), where i defended JsTs vs. CO.

flop was AsQs8d and he called a flop checkraise and turn bet with sixes (i gave up on river).
Old 08-23-2007, 08:49 PM

and yes, obviously i picked the ones i won, mainly to show the calldowns and otherwise bad plays i see routinely. of course i'll get raised by better hands on the turn, as well. i just don't think that additional loss outweighs the extra sb on flop and bb on turn i often get because i prevent people from checking turns behind.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 PM

Yeah I do this like 100% of the time in your spot.. the more you do it the more you recognise good spots for it.. Ive been doing it succesfuly in some really thin spots recently.

Key is no one folds to your c/r.. Even the best players in 10/20 dont.. (I know cause I do it all the time and always get looked up)

This hand was a week ago against a 50/30/2.1 villain whos been getting EXTREMLY agressive with made hands. Who ive also been spewing against.

People value bet extremly thin on rivers in these short handed games, and not enough people counter it with thin river check/raises IMO.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 8BB
<font color="#ffffff">Hero showed Kh 8s</font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB mucks 7c 3h</font>