Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: A list of novel technologies

[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing about this is that not a single item on this list was discovered without grant money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My grandmother was a homemaker, and she relied on my grandfather's income in order to buy food and other necessities. The logical conclusion from this is that if she hadn't married him, she would have starved to death.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing about this is that not a single item on this list was discovered without grant money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My grandmother was a homemaker, and she relied on my grandfather's income in order to buy food and other necessities. The logical conclusion from this is that if she hadn't married him, she would have starved to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre right, that isnt necessarily the result if she hadnt narried him, but then again, she wouldnt have learned to cook quite as well as she did if she was out there single and scraping by working 15 hours a day.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whiskeytown: Thanks for the headsup. I just added 2 more.

Nielsio: Nate has argued vehemently against public funding of energy research and has a hard on for pure capitalism. He has avoided answering questions of mine for many months if not years.

The point of this post should be pretty clear:

1) Make a list of novel energy technologies
2) Compare the effectiveness of pure capitalism vs. public funding in developing novel technologies
3) Discuss if technology can possibly solve the energy crisis and climate change

Which is all related to the topic that both borodog and Natedogg absolutely hate:

Just out today:
http://www.physorg.com/news69675439.html

[/ QUOTE ]

glad I could help - Yah, great thing about wave power - always there - until those bastards find a way to find oil and invade/blow up the moon.

I've heard it can be a little rough on coastal life/waters - but the technology is new - I esp. like the idea of powering islands/remote places with it.

cool papers - when I build my place in MT it will be off the grid electronically speaking -

pax
RB
Old 06-17-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whiskeytown: Thanks for the headsup. I just added 2 more.

Nielsio: Nate has argued vehemently against public funding of energy research and has a hard on for pure capitalism. He has avoided answering questions of mine for many months if not years.

The point of this post should be pretty clear:

1) Make a list of novel energy technologies
2) Compare the effectiveness of pure capitalism vs. public funding in developing novel technologies
3) Discuss if technology can possibly solve the energy crisis and climate change

Which is all related to the topic that both borodog and Natedogg absolutely hate:

Just out today:
http://www.physorg.com/news69675439.html

[/ QUOTE ]

glad I could help - Yah, great thing about wave power - always there - until those bastards find a way to find oil and invade/blow up the moon.

I've heard it can be a little rough on coastal life/waters - but the technology is new - I esp. like the idea of powering islands/remote places with it.

cool papers - when I build my place in MT it will be off the grid electronically speaking -

pax
RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont hold your breath. After 30 years of environmental impact studies on the effect of the wave generators on the migratory squirmy crab no one will remember what they can do.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:21 AM

I think if they ever figure this stuff out that will pretty much eclipse everything listed.

I think there are great things in that list like OTEC which would end the "oil era" and the sooner that happens the better.

I think the next great technological revolution is going to be nanotech based and isn't very far away.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a scientist who works for a Department of Defense research lab, I can say that there are also hundreds of other novel technologies that you missed. Most of which help us get involved with more global conflicts and given us the power to destroy civilization--all at the low low price of trillions of dollars. Waved that flag, brother.