Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: BB/100/hour projections-is everyone banking this?

[ QUOTE ]
I remember Andrew Prock used the weird a priori argument that "anyone who can make $300k a year playing online poker could make a lot more in the real world". I guess the implication was that nobody was making that much, and if they were they were just wasting their time anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with Andrew. With very few possible exceptions, if you're smart enough to make $300K a year playing poker, year after year, get yourself a good education and get a real job. You figure to do even better.

Buzz
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 PM

a lot of poker players have college degrees like myself but we prefer to play poker and live a day to day life. when u can travel the world playing poker that is more interesting then having to work for someone and having a 9to5. some people werent made to work a 9to5. why would u want to work all your life at a job with little to no freedom and then be 60 and retired and too old to travel the world anymore. buzz u sound like your retired and just want kids to go and get real jobs so the gov can get more taxes from us so we can pay for all your meds and social sercurity. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 PM

partypoker123 - Do whatever you want to do. And good luck to you.

[ QUOTE ]
buzz u sound like your retired and just want kids to go and get real jobs so the gov can get more taxes from us so we can pay for all your meds and social sercurity

[/ QUOTE ]Are you a kid? No matter. Your impression of me is incorrect.

I was trying to give my opinion and good advice.

No offense was intended.

[ QUOTE ]
a lot of poker players have college degrees like myself but we prefer to play poker and live a day to day life.

[/ QUOTE ]Since you brought it up, I have to admit I'm curious to know what college graduated you.

Buzz
Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 PM

I went to college in georgia and i also have a 2year degree from a college in europe. i played poker while going to college. i dont want to give u any more information for the reason of u looking me up or stalking me. no offense, just how i feel
Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember Andrew Prock used the weird a priori argument that "anyone who can make $300k a year playing online poker could make a lot more in the real world". I guess the implication was that nobody was making that much, and if they were they were just wasting their time anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with Andrew. With very few possible exceptions, if you're smart enough to make $300K a year playing poker, year after year, get yourself a good education and get a real job. You figure to do even better.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong IMO. I don't feel like making a lengthy post hammering out why I hold this opinion, but I think you are either exaggerating how hard it is to beat online poker or exaggerating how easy it to waltz into a $300k job just because you're "smart".

I know tons of online pros and I also know a lot about how the job market works, I think.

The "skills" you need to land a $300k a year type job at a young age are a lot rarer than the basic intelligence required for poker, including a strong academic pedigree (for finance jobs), a very strong work ethic, good social skills, etc.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is just wrong IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe so.
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are either exaggerating how hard it is to beat online poker or exaggerating how easy it to waltz into a $300k job just because you're "smart".

[/ QUOTE ]I think either is difficult. Are you telling us you're making $300K per year playing on-line poker? If so congratulations to you. Doesn't seem easy to me, but maybe you know better.
[ QUOTE ]
The "skills" you need to land a $300k a year type job at a young age are a lot rarer than the basic intelligence required for poker,

[/ QUOTE ]That makes sense. But having the basic intelligence required for poker and making $300K per year playing on-line poker are two different things altogether.

But hey, if you can make $300K per year playing on-line poker, then go for it!

Buzz
Old 09-01-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont want to give u any more information for the reason of u looking me up or stalking me. no offense, just how i feel

[/ QUOTE ]partypoker123 - No problem. I should not have asked the question.

At any rate, it looks like your question did get a decent response on the forum to which I moved it. No offense, but in my humble opinion your question simply did not belong on this forum - and so I moved it.

Buzz
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to college in georgia and i also have a 2year degree from a college in europe. i played poker while going to college. i dont want to give u any more information for the reason of u looking me up or stalking me. no offense, just how i feel

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't actually have a bachelor's degree -- what I would consider a "real" degree that might lead to professional employment. His grammar also betrays him.

FWIW, I think that the reason why this guy is getting trolled so much is that he comes on here as a stranger and makes wild (and often unfounded/unsupported) observations. When you trash the opinions of the better posters, and make little sense while doing it, you reap what you sow.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is just wrong IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe so.
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are either exaggerating how hard it is to beat online poker or exaggerating how easy it to waltz into a $300k job just because you're "smart".

[/ QUOTE ]I think either is difficult. Are you telling us you're making $300K per year playing on-line poker? If so congratulations to you. Doesn't seem easy to me, but maybe you know better.
[ QUOTE ]
The "skills" you need to land a $300k a year type job at a young age are a lot rarer than the basic intelligence required for poker,

[/ QUOTE ]That makes sense. But having the basic intelligence required for poker and making $300K per year playing on-line poker are two different things altogether.

But hey, if you can make $300K per year playing on-line poker, then go for it!

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you asked with a note of skepticism I have averaged way over $300k a year for the soon to be four years I have played full time.

And I know far more people who can say the same than people making $300k a year in real jobs. (Actually I don't know anyone personally who has made that much in a real job.)
Old 09-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Back to the original question about playing 2/4 3/6 and 5/10 all week. The variance in limit poker games in great that in nl and pl variants although it somewhat lets in a split pot game. The problem with your proposition is, what happens when you run bad at the 5/10 game, because the game is much tougher you have much less room for error and when you run back and loose 100bb or 1000 dollars it will take you some time to get that back at the 2/4 game or the 3/6 game. So you would need optiminal control over your finances to achieve that. Plus you will need lots of money set aside for you living expences if you don't live at home and a large bankroll.

I think the major issue for not making a living at these lower stakes is because the ammount of money that you will have to set aside for living expenses which should, by some conservative standuards be 6 months worth, which would be around $12,000 or more, plus you will need a bankroll of around $5,000 if you plan to actually try to do this seriously. So that $17,000 or so, perhaps you could get buy with 10,000 but with an increase of you ROR. But with $17,000 sitting around you could do a lot more with it than play poker at the 2/4 to 5/10 level. Say, invest in a property or invest in a business any number of things. Thats why the majority of professional poker players, play at the higher levels. Were there poker bankroll isn't a small percentage of their living expenses. Also your definetly not going to be able to play 60 hours per week, especailly on the days that your running really bad. I just can't see that happening. But GL.