Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 AM

Default Re: When to meet the parents? Do I have issues?

[ QUOTE ]
WOW! I don't really talk about personal stuff so I never really knew what was the norm......

It has nothing to do with me being embarrased of my mom or the girls, bc that couldn't be farther from the truth. My mom is my mom, you know. I guess I don't want her to see that part of my life and I don't want the girls to be a part of that facet of my life. I have no clue if that makes any sense, but it's the best I can do. It's like, if they are friends with my family and [censored] like that, then they basically become a part of my family and that doesn't sit right with me.

My brother is the same way as me. He has never brought a girl home either and he has actually lived with one of his girlfriends before.

How do you even go about doing something like that? Do you just bring them over? What are they going to talk about? My mom is old school asian and these girls were orange county white girls... kind of a clash of cultures. I just don't want to deal with the drama of things being weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok the only thing i can think of is that being asian has a LOT to do with it. otherwise there is something wrong with either you or your mom or your GFs.

just be like hey mom im gonna bring this girl over for dinner on XXXX night. we have been together XXXX long and she is very excited to meet you and i care about her alot.

thats pretty much it.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you even go about doing something like that? Do you just bring them over? What are they going to talk about? My mom is old school asian and these girls were orange county white girls... kind of a clash of cultures. I just don't want to deal with the drama of things being weird.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel you there. But when your gf wants to meet your mom, and your mom wants to meet your gf (you haven't really said whether this is true or not though), don't get in their way and make a big deal out of it... just let it happen. And as you said, probably nothing one of them does will reflect badly on the other.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:14 AM

Do you have one of the asian moms that damn well expects you to marry a nice traditional asian girl? Is that the deal?

Otherwise, things won't be weird. Your gf will try her hardest to be nice and polite. So will your mom. If things get quiet, you are supposed to carry the convo. It's really not that hard, don't worry.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 AM

My mom is traditional Chinese, but I'm pretty sure she knows that I'm into white girls and not Asians. I'm half Chinese, but my upbringing was predominately Asian in every aspect. I just can't picture the encounter when East meets beach blonde girls... Well, honestly the reactions that I have gotten have been very helpful; I'm being serious. I never really thought that my seperation of family and personal life was that big of a deal, but I guess I'm wrong.

Everything in life is easier said than done, but at least I know that this isn't a big deal to the majority of people so hopefully that helps a little. Thanks for the input guys. I was honestly expecting people to agree with me and then BAM, I get bombarded with replies....
Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 AM

norm is like 4-8 months to meet parents depending on how close you are with them
Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 AM

Is this your mother's house?

Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Seriously asian people who post for relationship advice need to start putting it in the OP, you all look like complete weirdos until that point becomes established 15 posts in...
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My mom is honestly the most important person in my life

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 02-09-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously asian people who post for relationship advice need to start putting it in the OP, you all look like complete weirdos until that point becomes established 15 posts in...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. This board has convinced me that I'd never want to have a LTR with an Asian girl. I wouldn't want to go through the constant drama with her parents. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is 100% true. my mom's a freak when it comes to me dating non koreans. my brother got kicked out of the house for dating a chinese girls.

my mom's not even old school korean. she speaks fluent english. has lived in the u.s. since she was in college. interacts with crackas all the time.

i seriously thought the OP was a complete freak till this info.

my suggestion is to pull a quick stop by thingy. tell her you have to drop something off at your mom's, invite her to ride along. they get a quick meet and greet, they maybe chat for a minute. oh [censored] we gotta go catch a movie, gotta go. if it's not weird try having dinner with her and your brother or someone else to add to weird silences. then if that goes well, BAM 3 some with your gf and your mom.