Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Q-high flush on straight flush board

[ QUOTE ]

many many many times I have read: either b/f river or c/f DONT c/c. Like in this hand but tons of other hands too. Why c/c sucks? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a common leak to have a medium strength hand and want to go to showdown (you don't want to face a raise if you bet) so you c/call.

However, most villains will check behind weak hands with showdown value. So, if no obvious draw missed and villain isn't too aggro then your best choices are obviously bet/fold or check/fold. By c/calling you allow villain to value bet his best hands and check behind with his worst hands, which is the worse of both world for you. (Good high stakes players may value bet thinner than they call, I guess.)

On the other hand, when a load of draws miss, c/call is normally much better than bet/fold or c/fold.

This is where handreading comes in.

In this case, villain called a bet on the turn so is likely to have some kind of showdownable hand. There're no draws he can have. So he'll probably check behind his weak showdown hands and bet his A/K high flushes and straight flushes. Only if villain is some kind of crazy aggro (which he could be from his stats) would I consider c/call.