Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: from $10 to $1 million in one day

I don't think it would be very hard to keep getting action since you would be making a lot of really stupid-looking plays. You might call three barrels with bottom pair, etc or call a shove with J high. Even after taking multiple buyins at 50/100+, there would probably be a waiting list to play you. Assuming good risk management, I think it could be done pretty easily playing heads-up SNGs and cash (as long as enough of the the high-stakes guys were around to notice the new "fish" taking a shot).
Old 08-24-2007, 03:33 AM

Exactly. As long as we're not thinking about account closures or anything I think this would be pretty easy. You wouldn't just have to worry about finding 17 double-ups for your whole roll and hoping they hold. Instead make those ridiculous calls with J high, bluff them off every single hand, raise and reraise anything you need, and make sick sick value bets. Just some simple bankroll management of say 2 buyins per level and you're gravy. If you drop to one buyin doing something stupid, wait til the river to make your calls until you have a couple buyins back. Cake!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friends and I were thinking about this the other night and were split on whether or not this was possible, so I will let others judge.

If you could see everyone else's whole cards at the table, would it be possible to get from $10 to $1 million in 24 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that it is highly unlikely because even if you played perfectly, your small bankroll would bust out due to normal variance.

Even if you played super-micro stakes (.01/.02), I think you'd be much more likely to bust out due to normal variance than to build up to $1M in 24 hours.

I suppose if you could play at super micro stakes indefinately with the ability to see others' hole cards, then you would eventually be able to make $1M. But it would take patience, good BR management, and more patience.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Even if you played super-micro stakes (.01/.02), I think you'd be much more likely to bust out due to normal variance than to build up to $1M in 24 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it would be very easy to have a microscopic risk of ruin. The question is just whether you can get enough action.

If you stay at one level, your risk of ruin is roughly e^-2 bankroll * WR/SD^2. Even if you just play normally, without using your ability to see anyone else's cards, your risk of ruin should be under 10% with 5 $2 buy-ins. With a win rate of $1/100, and a standard deviation of $2/100, your risk of ruin should be e^-5 ~ 0.67%. An increased win rate decreases your bankroll requirements.

The SSNL FAQ recommends having $100 to play for pennies. This is ridiculous, and should be changed.

Again, your main risk would be not getting enough action to win $1 million in a day, not busting out while you are able to make perfect value bets and calls.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Entirely variance oriented. Would be easily possible to play perfectly AND use said knowledge, and still lose. You can see your opponent's hands and predict their action but unless all YOUR action is on the river, no control over what the outcome might be. If you run bad, you might simply open shove pre with AA, knowing KK is out there, and lose several times in a row.

Thus, it would be very unlikely but possible, as you would still have to run insanely good to contend for a tournament like the Sunday Million (which would only get you started anyway).
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM

easily.

You guys forget the ability to bluff your opponents out of the pot everytime they don't have a piece of it to call and all in.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would be easily possible to play perfectly AND use said knowledge, and still lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
By easily possible, you are referring to a probability under 0.1% even if you don't play particularly well using that knowledge. What do you think the probability is that you will fail due to not getting enough action? 10%? If so, then that is over 100 times as worrisome.

[ QUOTE ]

If you run bad, you might simply open shove pre with AA, knowing KK is out there, and lose several times in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]
That woud be very far from optimal use of your ability. Since you can play the river perfectly, why would you push preflop instead of letting the player with KK commit himself?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 PM

EASY!
How could you not win?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:10 AM

If someone will set this up, I'm game to give it a shot.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Players routinely win and loose $1m in a day in these games

[/ QUOTE ]

NO