Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: 2007 USPC: Dates announced? ESPN going to cover?

thanks oliver, i've always wanted to see the phrase "the likes of alex jacob" in print
Old 05-12-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Instead, the likes of Alex Jacob, Jordan Morgan, and Michael DeMichele got their moment in the TV spotlight, but not much more in terms of sponsorship opportunities, as the UIGEA basically killed their chances of being sponsored for the forseeable future. File that under "bad timing".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow ..........thats pretty cold!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:39 PM

im not sure why its cold. we were indeed fortunate for our moment in tv spotlight and yes, the uigea killed most of our opportunities for sponsorship. that was partially the reason why none of the sites wanted to stick a logo on me at the ft, because of the bill that had just passed. alex and jordan both had sponsorship deals though because they had them before the bill had passed, and of course they are more accomplished than i am.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM

then the 2006 USPC would have had a field of "big names".

Mike,
Its cold because its an INSULT by Olivert,implying that only the "2nd rate player's" attended the USPC?
Whatever..
Old 05-12-2007, 10:37 PM

well it is true, the field was a joke. there should have been another 40 brand names or so.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Mike,
I have played with most of those "brand name players"(i dont know which names you are referring to I guess),and the TV ratings would have obviously been higher, but I would say that alot of those "unknowns" played some pretty damn good poker all week IMO.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
then the 2006 USPC would have had a field of "big names".

Mike,
Its cold because its an INSULT by Olivert,implying that only the "2nd rate player's" attended the USPC?
Whatever..

[/ QUOTE ]

I never meant to insult anyone with that comment.

Indeed, the USPC still had plenty of "name" players who were snubbed by the PPL.

Greg Raymer was there. (Likely because he publicly feuded with a member of the PPL player selection committee with initials D.N. last summer.)

Kathy Liebert was there. (She had a nasty falling out with a former agent of hers, with initials L.T., a few year ago and she does not have the greatest reputation in the industry.)

J.C. Tran was there. (His run of big wins started on October 1, two day before the start of the USPC, so he didn't become a "brand name" in time for the PPL.)

The so-call "Internet kids" who ultimately "swept the podium" at the 2006 USPC (Jacobs, Morgan, DeMichele) played very good poker and displayed plenty of personality as well. They would have been "in demand" as 2nd tier product endorsers if the UIGEA hadn't passed to render U.S.-based players with no non-English language skills virtually useless to most online poker "schools".