Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: looking to get a new TV.. and recomendations?

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I know, nothing in the world is broadcast in 1080p.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blu-ray -> x264 rip for my leeching needs -> my HTPC

Don't shell out for 1080p unless you're either sitting very close to your TV or your TV is huge (60+")
Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most likely must be 1080p/i
not sure between plasma/LCD

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh 1080p and 1080i are completely separate things. 1080i = 720p.

[/ QUOTE ]
To the OP, any reason why you're set on a LCD/Plasma? A DLP rear projection or an LCD rear projection TV would be WAY cheaper and if you're not hanging the TV on the wall or standing while you're watching there is really no reason to spend that extra $$$ on a plasma IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not exactly where the TV will end up.. maybe mounted on the wall, else on a stand where our current TV is.

Probably about 75/25 towards stand.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most likely must be 1080p/i
not sure between plasma/LCD

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh 1080p and 1080i are completely separate things. 1080i = 720p.

[/ QUOTE ]
To the OP, any reason why you're set on a LCD/Plasma? A DLP rear projection or an LCD rear projection TV would be WAY cheaper and if you're not hanging the TV on the wall or standing while you're watching there is really no reason to spend that extra $$$ on a plasma IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not exactly where the TV will end up.. maybe mounted on the wall, else on a stand where our current TV is.

Probably about 75/25 towards stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, if it's on a stand you can save yourself 3-4 grand by getting a new projection tv (DLP or LCD). I know it's not 'balla', but that much savings is hard to overlook. They are still thin (~12") and fairly light (< 100 lbs), they just can't be put up on a wall and if you stand (like to play Wii for instance) the picture becomes harder to see.

But if you're like me and the only time you watch tv is on the couch, sitting down, I think a DLP or LCD rear projection is the best bang for the buck.

For the guy who said nothing is broadcast in 1080p, it's half true. HD-DVD & Blue-ray (and PS3 & 360) can produce picture in 1080p, but your cable company (or satellite company) will only broadcast up to 1080i.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 PM

why hasn't anyone posted an old shitebox tv yet?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 PM

The best TV on the market right now, if price is not an issue, is the 60" Pioneer Elite.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Don't get a projection TV unless you really need to get a giant screen and can't afford LCD or plasma. You won't be able to see the image correctly unless you are directly in front of it - if you stand up, sit off to one side, or don't match the couch height and TV height exactly, then it'll look like [censored].

Going for size over quality is almost always a mistake - you'd have to have an enormous living room to really "need" a 60" TV.

I'm amazed by how many people I know go out and buy giant projection TVs, sit way too close to it with it mounted at the wrong height, and then proceed to use it to watch over-compressed non-HD TV shows that are stretched out to fill the widescreen and just look like total ass.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't get a projection TV unless you really need to get a giant screen and can't afford LCD or plasma. You won't be able to see the image correctly unless you are directly in front of it - if you stand up, sit off to one side, or don't match the couch height and TV height exactly, then it'll look like [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

This used to be true, but really isn't anymore. I have a 50' projection and a 42' LCD and honestly, I prefer the projection. I've never had a problem, no matter at what angle I'm looking at the TV from.

The bottom line is the best way to check out pictures is to go to the store and see them for yourself. That would give you a better idea of what you are interested in yourself.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Going for size over quality is almost always a mistake - you'd have to have an enormous living room to really "need" a 60" TV.

I'm amazed by how many people I know go out and buy giant projection TVs, sit way too close to it with it mounted at the wrong height, and then proceed to use it to watch over-compressed non-HD TV shows that are stretched out to fill the widescreen and just look like total ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this isn't true w/ the newer projection TV's (DLP & LCD). The wide range is much bigger than it was in the past and the viewing angle up and down isn't bad as long as you sit on your couch while you watch. From afar, you can't even tell the difference.

Also, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 55" tv @ 10' away when I actually buy my new tv, for gaming and for movies/tv.

I agree that having non-HD programming and stretching looks bad, but it looks bad on every HD tv, not just the huge ones. IMO the new DLP/LCD projections are the best bang for the buck right now. Huge LCD's are ridiculously overpriced and plasmas are slightly cheaper, but the longevity is slightly less than both LCD's and projections.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Yeah, my experience with projection TVs were mostly somewhat older ones (meaning like 1.5 years old), so it very well could have gotten better - these things change so fast.

My basic point still stands, though - go for quality over size, and most people don't need as big of a TV as they think they do.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, my experience with projection TVs were mostly somewhat older ones (meaning like 1.5 years old), so it very well could have gotten better - these things change so fast.

My basic point still stands, though - go for quality over size, and most people don't need as big of a TV as they think they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do indeed to get something of quality.
We sit about 12-15 ft on avg from the TV and I currently have a 60" projection (~9 years old though) which was hella balla when we first got it!