Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: NL25 JJ gets reraised preflop and hits bottom set

I think preflop, you played it fine. I don't fold JJ here. You're getting the right price to draw for a set against a bigger pair that will pay you off. Unfortunately, the rarely seen set over set happened and everyone loses their stack here.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree of wallenborn's pre-flop analysis. I would have found this to be a good spot to fold jacks.

Once you have the set though I don't think you can fold for how much money you have behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think you can fold this hand. Ever. Preflop you're up against AK at least as much as AA/KK/QQ. Hell, you're up against a weak A sometimes. On the flop, you got exactly what you wanted. I don't think you can expect QT, so only AA and KK beat you. AK, AQ and AT are probably eager to move in here.

Stack off and reload. Even the best players catch a cold deck every now and again.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM

great post wallenborn , thx a lot.
but i think you made a mistake there. he reraised to $1,75, so i only had to put in .75 while still having $9.50 behind after that. so the call was correct according to this "rule of thumb"?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree of wallenborn's pre-flop analysis. I would have found this to be a good spot to fold jacks.

Once you have the set though I don't think you can fold for how much money you have behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the mini 3 bet raise, hero is priced in for a call to flop a set. 75 cents with 10 dollars behind him keeps him withing the 5/10 rule to flop a set with the jacks.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM

You can't fold JJ here preflop, but don't forget about just playing for set value after the flop. Remember what you are up against and only continue if the J hits. Too many times you can forget your read on a 8 high flop and villain will string you along.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he reraised to $1,75, so i only had to put in .75 while still having $9.50 behind after that. so the call was correct according to this "rule of thumb"?

[/ QUOTE ]

True, i overlooked that. But i think you understand the point i was making: draws need room to run.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would put in another raise pf since you opened the pot from the CO and button could just be on a resteal, especially with the weak minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. At 25NL we are not seeing much (if any) restealing from the blinds. Also, the minraise is often a big hand looking for a call. Not saying this is always the case, but based on my play at 25NL, it's what I have noticed. So, I tend to tread carefully until a hand gets to showdown and I can see what they're min-reraising with preflop. In my opinion, we aren't really deep enough to call a normal sized reraise and play for set value, but I think calling a min-reraise preflop and playing for set value is fine. On the flop we are likely beaten, but I don't fold in that spot ever.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Occasionally the min 3bet preflop at 25NL is AK or a stupid hand like ATs but you can bet most of the time its AA,KK