Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: $114 Hero Call BvB. I think people will be interested by this one.

you are a stubborn stubborn man sir
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1380)

What is standard?
UTG+1 (t1480)
MP1 (t1260)
MP2 (t1425)
CO (t1895)
Button (t1590)
Hero (t2395)
BB (t2075)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero calls t50, BB checks

Flop: (t200) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150

Turn: (t500) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200

River: (t900) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets t1000</font>, Hero calls t1000

[/ QUOTE ]

standard

[/ QUOTE ]

What is standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was being facetious, I'm waiting eagerly for an explanation here from Pudge
Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 PM

I think I would of layed this one down Pudge.

But since you didn't - I'll take a guess as to why.

He would of raised the flop with a K, he would of raised preflop with an Ace, that's not a value bet on the river, and doubtful he'd come hard with a T with the A/K out there.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He would of raised the flop with a K, he would of raised preflop with an Ace, that's not a value bet on the river, and doubtful he'd come hard with a T with the A/K out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this make sense, but he would put that bet with 6 T wouldn't he?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that there are a bunch of hands that DO fit his line, specifically T8, T6, 97....or he could be bluffing with a better hand like T9 or T7.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that there are a bunch of hands that DO fit his line, specifically T8, T6, 97....or he could be bluffing with a better hand like T9 or T7.

[/ QUOTE ]

True - but Pudge will still have ~1000 chips after the call if he loses - which I'm sure he's comfortable playing with, and if he wins he's got a nice chip lead.

BTW Villain line looks like a standard Donk HU steal line to me. HU a lot of guys float with air and will take a small stab at the pot on the turn, if they don't meet resistance they'll come hard on the river for a steal. Tx is a possibility, but I doubt if this is 2 pair or better on the river very often.

FWIW as I'm said I pretty sure in game I would of found a fold.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 PM

He's using the classic "slow-slow-fast" line that donks love when they think they've flopped the best hand. Pretty much all of those hands involve a king and beat you. An ace is very unlikely, but the river bet is either a total bluff or it can beat a split pair of aces. He's bluffing some of the time here, but I doubt an unknown is bluffing anywhere close to often enough to make that call. I'd say he's bluffing 20% at most, and the rest of it is at least a flopped pair of kings and usually much more than that.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:33 PM

Looks kinda like A8/A6. I fold, anyway.

Ryan
Old 06-26-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks kinda like A8/A6. I fold, anyway.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I think A8 or A6 checks the turn.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:57 PM

Preflop and flop are really standard IMO.
Turn is interesting if I had nothing here I would pretty much always bet it as it a big scare card. I check since my hand has showdown value and plan on folding to most bets since unknowns don't float often and they rarely bet scare cards. He bets such a small amount that my hand can improve or I might have the best hand anyways so I call.

The river is interesting honestly. I misread the board, if the river is a jack this is a really easy call. Overbets tend to polarize ranges into nuts or air. The likelihood of an ace or a set is decreased by the preflop check. People with two pair could have raised earlier or bet more, but what is more important is people with two pair don't overbet the river. They tend to be more inclined to be 500-600 especially someone in this case who I have seen bet a small amount on the turn. As well most people aren't good enough to value bet KQ or something like that on the river. His line looked really like nuts or air and since I misread the board and didn't realize 97 got there I called.

As I said earlier if the river blanked I think this is an easy call. In this case it didn't blank. This leaves me in a really tough river decision because he can have 97 here although I really don't think much else is in his value betting range. The problem with air is in order to have air he needs to turn a made hand into a bluff, which is pretty tough a lot of people will have a bare six or 55 or something and turn it into a bluff or have one of the few missed draws that can turn into a bluff. If the flop is two tone again I think the river is a pretty easy call. As is it is very close, but the one thing that seems to make sense to me, which I didn't include in the OP he tanked down and bet. It seems to me if he was tanking picking a number to value bet on the river and he choose to overbet he would shove. He wouldn't bet and leave himself 600 behind. Either make a smallish vbet or make the bold aggresive play and shove. I still don't know how I feel about the river call because 97 got there and it is really close.