Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Runing a marathon

damn, did not notce that!
How can I amend it now? it is kinda embarassing...
Old 03-09-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mine was below 4h.

But again this is not the point...

[/ QUOTE ]

No that is the point, if someone ran a 5+ hour marathon, then they really get no respect from me. Anything under 4 and it's a job well done. For the record the farthest I've gone was a half-marathon in high school, in 1 hour 29 minutes. Then I realized that girls liked the bigger guys much better than rail thin runners, and I got in the gym and started doing crew. Best decision evar [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Actually the time and respect is relative. If you saw me in person and knew that I was athletic you would think I was lame if I ran a 6 hour marathon but if some woman that was 75 pounds overweight when she started her training program decided she was going to run one as a positive decision in her life for once instead of always going down the same ol' path then just finishing is impressive to me.

I have seen women my mothers age tell me they are running a marathon and in the back of my mind I am thinking "no f'ing way, you are way too out of shape...your knees won't even be able to take the impact before you get to the marathon." But they did it and no matter the struggle I always thought it was really cool that they got their ass off the couch and did something that made them feel good about themselves.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:50 AM

You can do a bit of both...I run my best half in 1h38 and I still go to the gym and chicks do love (I am married though)...:-)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Great post!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:00 PM

My son has gone below 4 hr after running three marathons. He did his first in Mpls. Then Chicago and recently in Phoenix, where he had his best time yet.

It's a tough thing to do, especially when he had asthma as a child. It's either gone or not bad enough anymore to stop his running.

I used to go on 12 mile runs with full combat ruck in the Army and have marched 26 miles (with a 15 minute break half way). I've never ran 26 miles, but understand the toughness of it.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:13 PM

I think I read in a Jeff Galloway marathon training book that less than one-hundreth of one percent of people in the world have finished a full marathon.

It's an accomplishment no matter what your time. A lot of training goes into preparing for those things. It's a big committment.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 PM

Qualifying for Boston is an impressive athletic achievement. Completing a marathon in itself is not impressive, although certainly nothing to scoff at. I guess you could say I'm impressed with the person for having the motivation and desire to go out and do a marathon, but not usually impressed with the actual difficulty of the accomplishment.

I think people are too quick to complement others on finishing. I've done 3 marathons on poor or no training and suffered through them all, but it's really not that hard to run slowly as far as you can and then walk the rest of the way.

If there was some rule where you got disqualified if you walked for more than 1 minute at a time then I would consider it very impressive.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Qualifying for Boston is an impressive athletic achievement. Completing a marathon in itself is not impressive, although certainly nothing to scoff at. I guess you could say I'm impressed with the person for having the motivation and desire to go out and do a marathon, but not usually impressed with the actual difficulty of the accomplishment.

I think people are too quick to complement others on finishing. I've done 3 marathons on poor or no training and suffered through them all, but it's really not that hard to run slowly as far as you can and then walk the rest of the way.

If there was some rule where you got disqualified if you walked for more than 1 minute at a time then I would consider it very impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran my half marathon kind of as a joke, with my longest training run probably being around 4 miles leading up to it. I was a miler back then. No doubt in my mind I could have finished it with that little amount of training, under 4 hours, you just kind of get numb after about 6 miles.

And if you are a fattie, then yes it's an accomplishment to comple one, but I'd still say under 5.5 hours. Completing a marathon isn't that hard, running 7 minute miles the whole way is.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt in my mind I could have finished it with that little amount of training, under 4 hours, you just kind of get numb after about 6 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should really go out and finish a marathon before making a statement like that. If you're like 99% of the population that tries marathons without proper training, your body will break down around mile 20 in ways you've never experienced before. A half marathon and marathon are completely different.

That being said, even though it sucks, if you have any pride you will still walk your tired butt to the finish and it's not that big of a deal.