Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: easy, healthy recipe ideas

[ QUOTE ]
George Foreman Grill + Chicken = 12 quality meals a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frying pan >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t; foreman grill.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What sorts of sauce do you guys use for chicken, that is still "healthy"? Teriyaki? Soy sauce?

Basically for chicken I'm rotating three "recipes". I'll stick two breasts in the oven and mix with a bag of light Caesar salad mix. I'll do BBQ chicken in the oven, putting the barbecue sauce on about halfway through cooking. Finally I sometimes make chicken stir fry, basically cubing the chicken, cook it, put refrigerated veggies in, cook them, then throw some soy sauce on it and call it a meal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using low salt soy sauce, you can get a really decent combo out of that plus fresh garlic, lots of black pepper, and olive oil.

Also check out all the flavored vinegars out there, including rice vinegars. Rice vinegar is extremely low cal and can be very good. You can also spice up whatever type you get. All it takes is playing around with a 15-25 buck spice rack to make plenty of really ordinary stuff pretty interesting, and make you curious to try out more experiments.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Incredibly easy buffalo style chicken breasts w/ veggies and/or sweet potato:

Marinate chicken breast in Italian Dressing overnight.
Grill chicken breast.
For the buffalo sauce, take one tablespoon of olive oil and combine with one tablespoon of Frank's Red Hot pepper sauce (or your preferred pepper sauce) and combine in small bowl.
Drizzle buffalo sauce over chicken breast.
Take one tablespoon of ranch or blue cheese dressing and add to bowl that had buffalo sauce in it. Stir to combine with residual buffalo sauce goodness for a spicy ranch or blue cheese dipping sauce.
Get frozen veggies in the microwavable bag. Heat per instructions.
If you are eating a sweet potato, poke it with a fork multiple times, wrap it in plastic wrap, and microwave it until soft (probably 4 to 5 minutes).
Slice up chicken breast, dip in ranch or blue cheese spicy sauce and enjoy!

I typically grill several chicken breasts at a time and refrigerate the leftovers for future meals.

For the calorie/fat conscious, use low fat or no fat Italian Dressing and ranch or blue cheese. Also, adding cinnamon and/or cayenne pepper to the sweet potato is a nice alternative to using butter. Fresh lemon juice is also a nice topping for the veggies, especially broccoli.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but dipping in ranch or blue cheese is the opposite of healthy. I like the stuff too, but let's not get carried away here.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:15 AM

I eat so much chicken since I dont like seafood. I dunno if you guys have Nandos in the states (portugese chicken place...mainly cooks with peri-peri sauce. I love their sauce and its relatively low cal. Heres most of my favorite chicken dishes:

Nandos Stirfry (chicken/veggies)
Szechaun Stirfry (azn sauce..delicious)
Chow Mein with chicken/veggies (with szechaun sauce v. ez)
Chicken Tacos
Chicken Fajitas
Grilled Chicken (nandos suace marinade)
Grilled Chicken (Jamaican Jerk sauce marinade..0 cals but a bit of sodium)
Grilled Chicken (plain...eat with lots of louisiana hot sauce which is obv awesome and 0 cal)
Chicken Burger (nando's sauce marinade...use a portugese roll for bun..I do anyways theyre a bit smaller than a normal bun and fit the breast better. better with mayo but I usually skip it)

I also do a couple pastas but they take a bit longer and you need recipes (search google obv)

Wherever I say marinade I usually dont marinade for long (10 min or so) altho itd prolly taste better with longer marinades (but im lazy)

-Mike
Old 09-25-2007, 04:30 AM

i eat a ton of chicken also. my standard is baked potato + lots of carrots + 2 cups of white rice + half a chicken.

is there a health preference with grilled chicken breast vs. microwaving a precooked rotisserie?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Incredibly easy buffalo style chicken breasts w/ veggies and/or sweet potato:

Marinate chicken breast in Italian Dressing overnight.
Grill chicken breast.
For the buffalo sauce, take one tablespoon of olive oil and combine with one tablespoon of Frank's Red Hot pepper sauce (or your preferred pepper sauce) and combine in small bowl.
Drizzle buffalo sauce over chicken breast.
Take one tablespoon of ranch or blue cheese dressing and add to bowl that had buffalo sauce in it. Stir to combine with residual buffalo sauce goodness for a spicy ranch or blue cheese dipping sauce.
Get frozen veggies in the microwavable bag. Heat per instructions.
If you are eating a sweet potato, poke it with a fork multiple times, wrap it in plastic wrap, and microwave it until soft (probably 4 to 5 minutes).
Slice up chicken breast, dip in ranch or blue cheese spicy sauce and enjoy!

I typically grill several chicken breasts at a time and refrigerate the leftovers for future meals.

For the calorie/fat conscious, use low fat or no fat Italian Dressing and ranch or blue cheese. Also, adding cinnamon and/or cayenne pepper to the sweet potato is a nice alternative to using butter. Fresh lemon juice is also a nice topping for the veggies, especially broccoli.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but dipping in ranch or blue cheese is the opposite of healthy. I like the stuff too, but let's not get carried away here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Blarg, one tablespoon of reduced fat blue cheese dressing is 3 grams fat. Not a crime man.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM

i really like stir frying so far. I cut up some peppers, onions, sugar snaps, broccoli, etc. and let them cook in some chicken broth, toss in some chicken, and put it over whole grain pasta. But ive had that 4 times already.

I just experimented with turkey burgers, it went pretty well so far
Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 PM

How many tablespoons do you eat per wing, and how many wings?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:17 PM

Thing I don't like about ground chicken and turkey is that to me they taste really bad unless they're hot. Even cruising down toward warm, they get much less tasty.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many tablespoons do you eat per wing, and how many wings?

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, c'mon blarg did you even read my post? Or did your head explode after reaching the "ranch or blue cheese" portion of it. Seriously man, I only use one tablespoon for an entire chicken breast. I find when you dip something into dressing, you can use a lot less than if you were to pour the dressing directly over what you are eating, whether it be a salad, meat, w/e. I'm guessing this is b/c the dip hits your taste buds first and tricks your mouth into thinking there is a lot more of it than there really is. But maybe I'm just imagining things.