Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Why are some people not Christian?

As long as you don't say to yourself, "It's impossible for me to understand and I never will" and you keep it a possiblity, you might someday.

It's important you don't predetermine how you will accept things in the future cause you may be denying a feeling that otherwise if you went into it with a open mind it would be undenyable.

Which is why it's -EV to let physical evidence rule out this point of view.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is why it's -EV to let physical evidence rule out this point of view.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not to do with physical evidence vs non-physical evidence. It is more to do with internal conistency. Adopting an internally consistent position is a goal (often implicit or unstated) that all rational people share (irrespective of whether they believe in God or not).
Old 02-24-2007, 02:23 AM

That's true, that's a natural thing. I believe that we have free agency and 1000s of choices to see what we will do. I really believe life on earth is a trial to see what would be do with physical bodies and free choice to see what we would believe. Cause think, if we were all in Heaven before this life, wouldn't the father of us all want to know what we would do without being created with a silver spoon in mouth(knowing everything). It makes sense he would want us to have 1000s of choices, free agency, an evil influence and many different truths claiming to be the one with one being the truth.

He wants to know who is going to be ignorant and ignore things for personal indulgence, who is going to purposely deny good and never learn from it, etc.

We all do bad things, some of us though turn out better then others, and I know there is an argument what if ur born here or there, but God has Mercy too, see he can't purposely give us a certain situation, for it to be a true test, it has to be all natural.

Did I ramble off subject? I don't even remember, it's so easy to just get going isnt it?

Enjoying the discussion Bunny..
Old 02-24-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have nothing to gain buy not following the word of God as he set it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, I don't by the word of god as defined buy the buyble
Old 02-24-2007, 02:31 AM

There are an infinity of possible gods, and since 1/infinisty = 0, that means that you believe in 0% of all gods. I, too, believe in 0% of all gods.

Everyone is really an atheist. QED

I figure that argument is better than anything in the OP.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since you put so little effort into your argument, I'll just refute your points instead of actively proving you wrong.

1. "Psychological sense?" WTF is that? Is that where the idea that there's a man in the sky that takes care of all your needs and makes you happy for eternity is comfortable? Is that psychological sense? I suppose believing in Santa Claus makes pyschological sense too. Too bad it doesn't make actual sense.

2. Why does there have to be a human-like being to make the earth. Obviously, something somewhere wasn't created by an outside force. You think God wasn't created by an outside force, I think the earth wasn't. What's the difference. Well except that we actually know the earth was created and there's no evidence whatsoever of a god, especially a Christian one.

3. You have nothing to gain by basing your life around a storybook. If it's "the word of God", then why didn't anyone see God speak it? All we can see is a book written by men that wanted to control other people.

Here's a better question. Why are you Christian? I bet I can answer it pretty succinctly.

1. You grew up in a region where most of the people around you were Christian. Since they said Christianity was true, you believed them.

2. It's comfortable. You get to believe that you'll be completely happy in "heaven" after death and even get to feel superior over others about your silly belief.

3. You've never bothered to actually question your faith and see that there was no foundation behind it. There's no evidence that any of this is true other than some stories that parallel stories that are known to be false such as Greek mythology, and stories that you believe to be false such as the Quran.

I could go into more detail to actually explain why I'm convinced there's no personal God, but I think countering your points and pointing out the lack of thought behind your belief is good enough for now.

[/ QUOTE ] You're reasonings are trite, incorrect, and lacking fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this part of some missionary training program? Are you going to get a "Word of Jesus" merit badge because you tossed a couple condescending yet false arguments at people on the internet?

Could you please direct me to your troop leader?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. It doesn't make psychological sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

This claim is far superior to the others. You're right, atheism makes very little psychological sense. Believers are generally happier than nonbelievers, and they probably live longer. Atheists benefit by satisfying an intellectual conscience, but this by no means measures up to the promise of heaven that satisfies religious people. The problem is, we don't have much of a choice; conscience is a strong thing, and it won't budge easily. (Why couldn't I have taken the blue pill?). An atheist believes that it doesn't matter if he has faith or not, yet he still holds on to a hope for enlightenment, no matter how vain he really knows it is. This is the small amount of faith he allows himself, when he feels confident and proud. In weaker moments even this is too far a stretch.

That's not to say it's all bad, however. There are times the atheist rejoices in his freedom, since he has thrown off the yoke of rigid morality. When opportunities present themselves, he doesn't need to restrict himself like the convservative one who slavishly denies his own pleasure.

But, in the scheme of overall happiness, believers win this round. For the most part, at least. I'm pretty sure there are a good amount of self-loathing, life-resenting christians out there who justify life only by the promise of a better one. And that is very sad.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're reasonings are trite, incorrect, and lacking fundamentals.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I guess that settles that then.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. "Psychological sense?" WTF is that? Is that where the idea that there's a man in the sky that takes care of all your needs and makes you happy for eternity is comfortable? Is that psychological sense? I suppose believing in Santa Claus makes pyschological sense too. Too bad it doesn't make actual sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

#335 ARGUMENT FROM WHAT MAKES SENSE

[ QUOTE ]
(1) Doesn't it just make more sense that an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-good deity created the world out of nothingness, from magic, essentially, and then punished us for eating a piece of fruit, and then incarnated himself in human flesh and came down to shed his own blood so he could break his own rules, and then went through hell on a temporary basis and then went back into the sky and promised to come back and take everyone who believed in him to this heaven no one has ever seen?
(2) Well, doesn't it?
(3) Therefore, God exists.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-24-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

#335 ARGUMENT FROM WHAT MAKES SENSE

[ QUOTE ]
(1) Doesn't it just make more sense that an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-good deity created the world out of nothingness, from magic, essentially, and then punished us for eating a piece of fruit, and then incarnated himself in human flesh and came down to shed his own blood so he could break his own rules, and then went through hell on a temporary basis and then went back into the sky and promised to come back and take everyone who believed in him to this heaven no one has ever seen?
(2) Well, doesn't it?
(3) Therefore, God exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a cheater. When you say it like that, it just seems silly.