Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: AK hand

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone raise the flop here?(obviously for value)

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on villain and history....

Against a random, I think flop call is fine. If we do raise, I don't see how we are folding to a push...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on villain and history....

Against a random, I think flop call is fine. If we do raise, I don't see how we are folding to a push...

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my train of thought as well. I would raise on the flop to get it in, but as called with that flush scare card, checking and calling river seems like the only play to me. Although I actually do fold this @ low limits.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:33 AM

You've played this perfectly to induce a river bet from a worse hand. Call.

Raising flop isn't bad either. I'd say after this flop, most of the time play this hand as though you have AA.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM

I folded. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I think his flop lead confused me.
His river bet looks like a value bet.
So what hands does he lead the flop with and value bets the river?
I would say KQs/KJs altough i don`t know if he calls reraise preflop w/ them. I can also think AA/AK/set/draw.The only draw got there.I don`t think he is capable of having pure air.
On the other hand i played it extremely passively and that alone makes it a call getting 3-1.
Looks like i outplayed myself in this one.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I folded. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I think his flop lead confused me.
His river bet looks like a value bet.
So what hands does he lead the flop with and value bets the river?
I would say KQs/KJs altough i don`t know if he calls reraise preflop w/ them. I can also think AA/AK/set/draw.The only draw got there.I don`t think he is capable of having pure air.
On the other hand i played it extremely passively and that alone makes it a call getting 3-1.
Looks like i outplayed myself in this one.

Thanks for your comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is bettin 50% of the pot here, it looks like he is crying for a call from AK or AA but he could be bluffing that he wants you to call when he doesn't want it... He knows you have AA, AK and he knows you cannot fold that for $2000, so probably he has you beat anyway. Good fold.

I am not sure if you will win this way more than 1 in 3 times. It depends on how good your opponent is but i guess he has you beat pretty often. You should have a read on his river bet-sizes and take that into consideration before calling. It's close between calling and folding, i probably need more info on his style to be able to give you the best counter strategy against this bet. (probably calling or folding)
Old 03-30-2007, 03:51 PM

He could be valuebetting a weaker hand, so I think you have to call here.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. IMO the flop is a CLEAR raise against a TAG not only for value but also to determine where you are in the hand. If he has AQ of hearts his lead is still a pretty good play since he can maybe run you off QQ, JJ, TT. If he has KQ then you are def raising for value. And if he has AA or KK you can probably find that out now on the flop with a raise rather than debating a river call. Smooth calling this flop is too weak IMO since AQ or AJ of hearts is too menacing of a possibility as is KK or AA. For some reason, however, I am getting the sense this guy also has AK and its a chop unless he has a the A of hearts for runnerss...
But a solid, but not huge flop raise is still the best line IMO.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 AM

I like a flop call, especially if you havent been 3-betting much. If he reads your 3-betting range tight, raising his flop lead and then calling is pretty much a suicide against a TAG.

As played, I cry and call the river.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. IMO the flop is a CLEAR raise against a TAG not only for value but also to determine where you are in the hand. If he has AQ of hearts

[/ QUOTE ]

You raise to $3K, $3.5K? Are you going broke with the hand, or folding to a shove? Seems like a tough spot to put yourself in a position to face a push when a turn brick can be a great card for you.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:41 AM

I raise to not more than 3K, maybe even in the neighborhood of 2800. Notice that, if he has KQ or worse, this raise looks like (and is) a value raise, whereas if he has AA or KK, he will probably come over the top right now either fearing you have a heart draw (if he has the A of hearts in his hand this could change things though) or that he has trapped your AK, and thus you have gained information and can fold without risking more than 1/3 of your stack total.

The problem with just calling the flop is that what are you going to do if a complete brick falls on the turn and he fires something like 2500-3000? And then on the river when the board, e.g. pairs with no heart? He really does possess THE HAMMER on future betting streets that Miller writes about.

All of that said though, even TAGs sometimes if they feel frisky online will push AQ of hearts here full throttle...