Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Excellent WTO article/interview for anyone interested in the case

[ QUOTE ]
Nice article.

Just one comment -- the article mentions copying Microsoft products. That might pose a technical problem because of the way Microsoft's product activation works. You need an activation code to use the product -- and I doubt Microsoft will be too keen on sharing those with Antigua.

I hope you kick some US ass in the continuing legal battles.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm u can get activation keys currently on [censored] sites ...what would kill the US is if antigua would let antigua becaome a safe haven for [censored] sites and dvd pirates/..

edit//i didnt know bit torrent was a censored word ,wth?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The official DOJ spokesman said on many occasions in the mid- to late-1990s that United States laws did not cover this kind of gambling service offered from and under the sanction of government in foreign countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay what happened to this gentleman? Was he an attorney for the DOJ or just some PR guy that just worked there. Was he fired for this statement and does anyone know how/why he said it and what information he was basing his statement on? Clearly there was a change in policy that morphed into this all out war we are seeing now. Can you imagine how bad it would be right now if 9/11 hadn't diverted the national law enforcement directives for the next 2 years or so?

Everyone keeps talking about pirated software, but I think if this happens at all (small chance) it will be in the counterfeit goods market. LV bags, fake rolexes and whatnot
Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The official DOJ spokesman said on many occasions in the mid- to late-1990s that United States laws did not cover this kind of gambling service offered from and under the sanction of government in foreign countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay what happened to this gentleman? Was he an attorney for the DOJ or just some PR guy that just worked there. Was he fired for this statement and does anyone know how/why he said it and what information he was basing his statement on? Clearly there was a change in policy that morphed into this all out war we are seeing now.

[/ QUOTE ]

His name was John Russell. He was the official spokesperson for the DOJ Criminal Division in Washington DC.

I'll try and dust off some of his quotes in the future.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:32 AM

I think that the big thing working against us currently is the confidentiality of the process. The WTO won't even confirm a list of who has applied for compensation where. The lack of transparency is Bushesque. My hint to Antigua, if they have the financial means, is to start advertising after July 24th what they intend to offer after the appeal. Maybe cheap Apple products, iphones and ipods. With the EU telling Apple if they try to sabotage the soon to be legal sale/use, then they will reinstate every anticompetitive investigation they have against them, especially in France where iTunes/iPods have already faced competitve scrutiny.
The USTR can only lie for so long, and the sooner countervailing voices are heard in public, the better.