Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: xorbie
Exactly what I expected 5 20.00%
Pretty much what I expected 2 8.00%
Kinda what I expected 5 20.00%
Not really what I expected 6 24.00%
Definitely not what I expected 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: 2008 Presidential Primaries

Frank Rich wrote a nice piece on the weakening of the religious right, at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/op...ml?ref=opinion .

[ QUOTE ]
Abortion and same-sex marriage landed at the bottom of that list; fighting poverty outpolled abortion as a personal priority by a 3-to-2 margin. To see just how large a gap separates that evangelical electorate from the values organizations that purport to speak in its name, just look at the Values Voter Summit that the Family Research Council convened to much press attention in Washington last weekend. In a survey of participants to determine which issue would be “most important” in choosing a presidential candidate, the summit’s organizers didn’t even think to list the war, health care or fighting poverty among the 12 hot-button options.

The Values Voter Summit’s survey of the attendees’ presidential preferences showed just as large a disconnect. Rudy Giuliani came in next to last (behind Tom Tancredo, ahead of John McCain) in the field of nine candidates, earning only 1.85 percent of the vote. By contrast, among white evangelicals nationwide in the CBS News poll, he was in a statistical dead heat for first place with Fred Thompson; indeed, Mr. Giuliani’s 26 percent among evangelicals nearly matches his showing among all Republican voters. The discrepancy between the CBS poll and the summit survey leaves you wondering who exactly follows Dr. Dobson and Mr. Perkins beyond the ticket buyers who showed up for their media circus last weekend at the Washington Hilton.

Of late Dr. Dobson has been throwing a hissy fit about Rudy’s rise, reminiscent of his 2005 condemnation of the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants for appearing in what he labeled a “pro-homosexual video.” Apparently suffering from the delusion that he has the pull on the right that Ralph Nader once did on the left, he has threatened to bolt to a third party. But for all this huffing and puffing, Dr. Dobson and his stop-Rudy brigade are as politically hypocritical as the Reverend Haggard was sexually hypocritical.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-27-2007, 11:32 PM

seeing that i could never vote for anyone whose pro-abortion i might be persuaded to vote for Ron Paul since hes prolife. id like to find a president whose not hostile to online poker if possible, but i sure dont wanna elect a hillary clinton who will do much damage to this country with her radical leftwing policies.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frank Rich wrote a nice piece on the weakening of the religious right, at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/op...ml?ref=opinion .

[ QUOTE ]
Abortion and same-sex marriage landed at the bottom of that list; fighting poverty outpolled abortion as a personal priority by a 3-to-2 margin. To see just how large a gap separates that evangelical electorate from the values organizations that purport to speak in its name, just look at the Values Voter Summit that the Family Research Council convened to much press attention in Washington last weekend. In a survey of participants to determine which issue would be “most important” in choosing a presidential candidate, the summit’s organizers didn’t even think to list the war, health care or fighting poverty among the 12 hot-button options.

The Values Voter Summit’s survey of the attendees’ presidential preferences showed just as large a disconnect. Rudy Giuliani came in next to last (behind Tom Tancredo, ahead of John McCain) in the field of nine candidates, earning only 1.85 percent of the vote. By contrast, among white evangelicals nationwide in the CBS News poll, he was in a statistical dead heat for first place with Fred Thompson; indeed, Mr. Giuliani’s 26 percent among evangelicals nearly matches his showing among all Republican voters. The discrepancy between the CBS poll and the summit survey leaves you wondering who exactly follows Dr. Dobson and Mr. Perkins beyond the ticket buyers who showed up for their media circus last weekend at the Washington Hilton.

Of late Dr. Dobson has been throwing a hissy fit about Rudy’s rise, reminiscent of his 2005 condemnation of the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants for appearing in what he labeled a “pro-homosexual video.” Apparently suffering from the delusion that he has the pull on the right that Ralph Nader once did on the left, he has threatened to bolt to a third party. But for all this huffing and puffing, Dr. Dobson and his stop-Rudy brigade are as politically hypocritical as the Reverend Haggard was sexually hypocritical.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dobson hit a narrow demographic window. An entire generation of Democratic voters was dying(Depression/WWII)
and party allegiance was in flux. The generation behind them trended narrowly Republican and wasnt too educated or secular. Now that they are dying he is running hard up against Nixon era Democrats who have never been wholly comfy with the Republicans. After you get under 55 or so Dobson has very low appeal. Self-identified younger evangelicals under 30 arent even supporting Republicans at 50%. If Bush was pulling in close to 3/4 of that demographic in 04, we have some hope of getting rid of their pull in a few more cycles.
Maybe Im too old to see the benefit in my lifetime of getting rid of those [censored], but its slowly coming.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:34 AM

Another good article on the changing religious right: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/ma...licals-t.html?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a survey of participants to determine which issue would be “most important” in choosing a presidential candidate, the summit’s organizers didn’t even think to list the war, health care or fighting poverty among the 12 hot-button options.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what is fascinating (read: sick, hypocritical, WTF???) about the "religious" right. They don't care about not killing people or helping the needy or the Golden Rule or anything central to Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, which is (is supposed to be???) the heart of what being a Christian is. Just fascinating ....
Old 10-28-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another good article on the changing religious right: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/ma...licals-t.html?
[ QUOTE ]
“I think that a superpower ought to be the exemplification of a commitment to peace,” Carter told Hybels, who nodded along. “I would like for anyone in the world that’s threatened with conflict to say to themselves immediately: ‘Why don’t we go to Washington? They believe in peace and they will help us get peace.’ ” Carter added: “This is just a simple but important extrapolation from what a human being ought to do, and what a human being ought to do is what Jesus Christ did, who was a champion of peace.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm ... Jimmy Carter more "religious" than the "religious" right?

Thanks for the link TE.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:24 PM

Has anyone else looked at the 3rdQ reports and the personal disclosure reports?

Hillary keeps all her own money in a checking account???

She has been in gov't way too long!

Obama is paying more pros than previously thought his monthy nut is bigger than Hils.

Some interesting stuff.

Mitt is $17 million in debt and climbing!

Ron Paul can't get even 20% of his money from women, that is disturbing.

D$D
Old 10-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Mitt is worth a healthy 9 figures. Money isnt an issue with him.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mitt is worth a healthy 9 figures. Money isnt an issue with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone knows that, I hope his campaign finance guy is not on a precentage basis.

D$D
Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 PM

As if we didn't already know.

link

This is unfortunate since Huckabee seems pretty grounded in some respects.

Tuff