Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Worst looks for guys that you see all the time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can I get a ruling on short-sleeve button-down shirts (not polos) in both a casual and an office setting?

I'm of the opinion that they're about the tackiest piece of clothing that passes as acceptable. They look retarded and there's no excuse why one couldn't have worn the normal version

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Also, I like the plaid shorts + long-sleeved button down with rolled-up sleeves look. But it is certainly very frat. If I met a 28 year old guy at a bar rocking this I would assume his life peaked sophomore year.

[/ QUOTE ]'

see, to me, anything popular amongst the greek culture is usually a no no.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:31 AM

I have about about 30-40 polos mostly short sleeved a few long. I usually wear them with a visible white t shirt. I'm 20 years old.

I wears shorts whenever weather permits. Usually khaki or navy cargo shorts, but I'm looking to get away from this and have gotten a couple pair of flat front shorts.

I'm trying to move away from polos a bit. I often will wear custom fitted dress shirts with sleeves rolled up with shorts, or rolled or unrolled with jeans.

Thoughts on fitted short sleeve button downs like this:

In the colder months I like to layer collared shirts alot. Like a polo or oxford under a rugby, or an oxford under a long sleeved polo. Thoughts on that look?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:33 AM

Oddjob,

Really? Guys who hook up with, date, and eventually marry hot college and sorority girls are losers to you? I realize there are a lot of ridiculous things about frat guys but I really don't understand the level of hate they get here. Maybe it's a little different at my incredibly nerdy, introverted school since it's pretty hard create a social life without being greek. Shrug.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shrug. I find them more suitable than athletic shorts and sometimes it is hot. And miajag, did you not read my post? I was pretty much saying I was the subject of this thread, which is why I posted.

I do think a lot of you are seriously undervaluing age and region in this discussion. Jean shorts are pretty common for people my age in this region. While this may not change the fact I look like a huge dork, it makes people around me overlook that fact more than you gents would.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is your geographical location? I live right outside NYC, work in Manhattan, and lived for five years in West Virginia. Honestly, I've only ever thought this looks "good" on young black guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Illinois, non-Chicago area. I'm not saying that jean shorts and a tee short makes me look "good," but it definitely is not something that people would ever comment on unless there was a roundtable talking about fashion (like this thread).

I prefer jeans to jean shorts, but when it is hot, jean shorts or athletic shorts are all I own. I do not even have khaki shorts anymore (used to, outgrew them).

Basically the only clothes I plan to buy in the next couple years now are the clothes I will need to do class observation and student teaching type clothes. Once I get more of those and get used to them, I'm sure the jean shorts will fade out.

But right now, I am still at an age and surrounding where I could where jean shorts and a backward ball cap all day and no one would say a word.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oddjob,

Really? Guys who hook up with, date, and eventually marry hot college and sorority girls are losers to you? I realize there are a lot of ridiculous things about frat guys but I really don't understand the level of hate they get here. Maybe it's a little different at my incredibly nerdy, introverted school since it's pretty hard create a social life without being greek. Shrug.

[/ QUOTE ]

most frat guys are jerkoffs at most schools, this is pretty common. Some schools you cant do anythign w/o being in a frat though, and we all realize this, its just easier to make blanket assumptions. Id never ever shoot me in the ehad first be in a frat at Mizzou, but at southeast mo state you have to be in one to meet people
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oddjob,

[/ QUOTE ]

That is totally not what Oddjob said, wtf?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize there are a lot of ridiculous things about frat guys but I really don't understand the level of hate they get here.

[/ QUOTE ]

FFK, not all frat guys are bad news. But the ones that are really overshadow everything redeeming they seem to have (to people outside of the greek system).

They get hate because of the 30% or so that are really really annoying. (That number may seem high, but in my limited experience, it is about right). Shrug.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
most frat guys are jerkoffs at most schools, this is pretty common. Some schools you cant do anythign w/o being in a frat though, and we all realize this, its just easier to make blanket assumptions. Id never ever shoot me in the ehad first be in a frat at Mizzou, but at southeast mo state you have to be in one to meet people

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I guess there is a lot of variance then. And that would probably lead to a lot of mixed impressions of dressing like a frat guy. I guess when in doubt, avoid it, or dress according to where you're hanging out (Mizzou bar vs Southeast MO State party, etc)

Default frat hate

[ QUOTE ]
I realize there are a lot of ridiculous things about frat guys but I really don't understand the level of hate they get here.

[/ QUOTE ]

No attempt to address the overall attitude here, but in a fashion thread, it's the conformity and uniformity of frat-guys that draws ire.

They tend to project a carbon copy image. And not necessarily a fashion sharp image, at that.

[ QUOTE ]
Oddjob,

Really? Guys who hook up with, date, and eventually marry hot college and sorority girls are losers to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I don't envy ANYONE who marries a sorority girl.