Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Vick Pleads Guilty

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How in the hell does he plead GUILTY but doesn't want to admit to betting on dogfights or killing dogs???!?!?!?!! WHAT ARE YOU PLEADING GUILTY TO?? BEING AN IDIOT?????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably the deal they struck with the prosecuters. By not admitting guilt to the actual killing of the dogs or the gambling he keeps his option open to return to the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the legal maneuvering means dick to Goodell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said in an earlier post, when he gets out there will be unreal pressure from black groups and probably the Players Asscoiation to let him play. By not admitting to the more heinous activity and the gambling, it leaves open the possibilty that Goodell will cave to the pressure.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said in an earlier post, when he gets out there will be unreal pressure from black groups and probably the Players Asscoiation to let him play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was done with the Vick threads, but I gotta chime in here.

I'm shocked that the NAACP and other groups are supporting Vick in this. Whether you think Vick should be put away for what he did, or whether, like Jack of Arcades, you think dogs are just property that can be tortured and destroyed with no consequences, this really isn't about race. I'd be just as disgusted if it were Jeremy Shockey instead of Mike Vick.

Whether Vick personally killed the dogs or not, it is 99.99% certain that he was heavily involved in the whole operation based on the evidence we've heard IMO.

Does the NAACP just blindly support any high-profile black person with no regard for whether they're guilty or not?

Edit: I see this has already been covered. l;akshdglkasd
Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the NAACP just blindly support any high-profile black person with no regard for whether they're guilty or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's actually their mission statement.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:46 PM

Does anyone else think that Pacman Jones has a reason to believe he is not being treated fairly by the league in comparison to Vick?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think that Pacman Jones has a reason to believe he is not being treated fairly by the league in comparison to Vick?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's wait until the league actually punishes Vick.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's wait until the league actually punishes Vick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does the NFL wait for Vick to handle his legal business before getting suspended by Jones gets a year off before he can even hire a lawyer.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How in the hell does he plead GUILTY but doesn't want to admit to betting on dogfights or killing dogs???!?!?!?!! WHAT ARE YOU PLEADING GUILTY TO?? BEING AN IDIOT?????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably the deal they struck with the prosecuters. By not admitting guilt to the actual killing of the dogs or the gambling he keeps his option open to return to the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he did this for 2 reasons.

1. if he admits to killing dogs then he's in fubar when the state prosecutor files charges against him for animal cruelty.

2. if he admits to gambling he could get long term ban by nfl
Old 08-24-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does the NFL wait for Vick to handle his legal business before getting suspended by Jones gets a year off before he can even hire a lawyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NFL suspended Vick from camp and you know he won't be on the field this year. There's no reason for the league to do anything else for the time being.

If Vick ends up coming back in 2008, then I would say he got off easy compared to PacMan. But I really doubt that will happen.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the legal maneuvering means dick to Goodell.

[/ QUOTE ]If I was Goodell it would only make me harsher on him. A couple days ago I was of the opinion that if he comes clean and shows remorce and a team is willing take him, he should be allowed to play in the first full season that starts after he is released (not allowed to start mid-season). Hearing the news yesterday makes me think he is an even bigger POS trying to weasel his way around things and not owning up to what he has done. If it was up to me I would deffinitly be harder on him now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys seem to be under the impression that Goodell actually CARES what Vick does, or that he is going to try to punish Vick or somehow be vindictive. Goodell probably WANTS Vick to be back as soon as possible, he just has to do what is best for the league. Thats why he is cracking down on these guys, because he is thinking long-term, not short-term. He knows that continuing to turn a blind eye to this type of stuff, while fine right now since the stars get to stay on the field, will hurt in the long run.

My guess is that Goodell would absolutely LOVE it if Vick manages to avoid admitting to gambling or to killing dogs. That way, he can give him a one year suspension, and then get him back on the cover of ESPN Mag and Madden (ok, probably not Madden) and get him selling jerseys again. I doubt Goodell sees his role as holding the scales of justice.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Vick is done playing, period. Its hilarious to hear analyst on ESPN speculating on his career when he gets out. Apparently rumors abound that a few teams would take a chance on him.

This [censored] is ridiculous, his career is over. No one will take this guy. The PR is ridiculous. The fact that he is basically confined between his home and the courthouse has mitigated this. He isn't everywhere. Once he gets out, he better stay at home, because everywhere he goes PETA will follow him. Other animal lovers will follow him and protest. Sponsors will balk at anything he may appear at. There is zero upside to bringing him to your team.

I honestly thought the media and public were going to treat this situation correctly, but it appears we are all regressing into the typical behavior exhibited any time a celebrity does anything illegal other than rape, murder, or molestation.

We say they are hurting. We wonder if their career will bounce back. As if Vicks career is more meaningful in the grandscheme of things. After all, he is JUST A [censored] FOOTBALL PLAYER. Not like this man is saving lives, teaching children, or improving the world. But man, he runs fast and has cool cornrows!

I think the people who are concerned with this career and well being should be disgusted with themselves. The man killed dogs who weren't performing for him. He shoot them, drowned them, electrocuted them. If anything, Blank should have shot Vick as its apparent he was never going to win the Super Bowl for his beloved team, in what is quickly becoming the most farcical over the top league in America.